Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Search A Host Without Using FQDN

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Search A Host Without Using FQDN

Posted Aug 06, 2013 11:49 AM

Recently upgraded AMP from 7.6 to 7.71 then 7.7.3 with CentOS upgraded to 6.  When I was at 7.6, I can search for a host with a partial name, but the current 7.7.3, a host must be searched with a FQDN.

For example: for a host name abc12345.domain.org, if I search for abc12345 it will not work, I must search for “abc12345.domain.org”

Any changes I can do to help this? It will help us a lot.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: Search A Host Without Using FQDN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2013 12:43 PM

You'll want to check:

1. User preferred search method

Home -> User Info tab -> Search Preferences box

user info.jpg

2. Global preferred search method

AMP Setup -> General tab -> Search Preferences box

amp setup.jpg

Note that if you're using 'Exact Match' then it would require the full hostname.  Non-exact matches allow partial match.

• 3.  RE: Search A Host Without Using FQDN

Posted Aug 06, 2013 03:23 PM

Rob,

Thanks for the reply.  Here what I did:

In User info ->Search preferences -> search method: "Use system defaults" (no change)

Amp setup -> General -> Search Method: chaged from “Active + historical clients (exact match)”
     to “Active + historical clients”, (also tried with "Active + historical clients + all categories")

Then I logged out, logged back in, but no help, same problem: empty when searched for nerh123440, but it worked if search for "nerh123440.btnrh.boystown.org"

AWCapture.JPG

• 4.  RE: Search A Host Without Using FQDN

Posted Aug 06, 2013 03:29 PM

I should not say it is not working because when I put in the host name on the search box, if I clicked the search icon (the circle in the search box) it showed empty, but if I just simply hit ENTER, it works !!!

• 5.  RE: Search A Host Without Using FQDN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2013 05:06 PM

That's definitely strange behavior.  Can you open a support case so they can gather more information?  I'm currently not seeing the same behavior on our demo server.

• 6.  RE: Search A Host Without Using FQDN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2013 05:40 PM

Actually, it's not strange behavior.

The 'magnifying glass' only performs the quick search functionality.  In order for quick search to be fast, it expects that the search term is at the beginning of the line.  So 'nerh' would not be expected to show any clients on quick search.  Though a search for 'host' would be expected to bring up the clients in quick search.

Keep in mind that when you hit enter, you're performing the search based on user preference.  Per user, the initial preference is by that particular user which is Home -> User Info -> search method.  If that setting is set to system default, then it's using AMP Setup -> General -> search method.