Wireless Access

MVP Expert

Second backup-LMS in ArubaOS 8?

Hi gurus,

I have three sites geographically separated and L3 connected, each one with one controller. I know I can have site1's APs pointing to site1's controller, and if this controller fails, the APs can fail over to the site2's controller, as indicated with the backup-LMS in the AP system profile.

Now, is possible to have site1's APs pointing to site1's controller as the primary controller, site2's controller as secondary controller is site1's controller fails, and site3's as tertiary controller if site1 and site2's controllers fail? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Second backup-LMS in ArubaOS8?

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP Expert

Re: Second backup-LMS in ArubaOS 8?

@cjoseph wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this.

Hi Colin,

I forgot to say, but I will also have a MM for managing the three controllers. I guess it is not possible either with a MM. Can you confirm?

Regards,

Julián

Guru Elite

It is not possible with an MM.

Controllers do not fail often (the only moving part is typically a fan in the power supply).  If you need high availability at a site because you need wireless 24/7 put a second controller there.   Failing over to a second site is very disruptive, because all devices will have to request a different ip address (if the device even detects the failover).  This is not to mention the slowness of the WAN between sites that would make wireless painful.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP Expert

Sure, I agree. But my customer has limited budget and a second controller at the site will be in a second phase. But in the meantime and in the case of a controller failure is better to have a regular wireless service for a while than not wireless at all.

Regards,
Julián
Guru Elite

Well, the customer will be satisfied with Backup LMS, because controllers do not fail often.  

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: