Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Secondary IP addresses

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Secondary IP addresses

Posted Sep 08, 2017 10:30 AM

Hello,

We have 1 master, 1 stdby master and 7 locals with a +1 local. We're moving to 2n. Currently running a bug-fix version of 6.5.3.1.

We are in the process of readdressing our controllers - we will have 4 addresses per controller (controller IP, LMS for APs with wired port profiles, LMS, & LMS striping). We have decided (on advice from Aruba technical reps) to ditch the loopback addresses from the controllers.

But now we need to configure the new addresses, my initial thought was to add them as secondary addresses on the management vlan, but it looks like this isn't possible now (though there seem to be articles from 2 or 3 years ago suggesting it was possible).

What is the recommended way of doing this now?

Many thanks,

• 2.  RE: Secondary IP addresses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2017 10:38 AM

Lose the striping as well.  It is an advanced feature, but very few people can even take advantage of it.  It introduces too much complexity.

• 3.  RE: Secondary IP addresses

Posted Sep 08, 2017 11:58 AM

We currently use the striping address - we have a number of dual link APs out there using it. Without it how is the load balancing achieved, is it just 2.4GHz on one link and 5GHz on the other?

• 4.  RE: Secondary IP addresses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2017 02:23 PM

Without striping everything would be on a single interface.  I am just saying that striping introduces more complexity because of the additional ip address, now that you are attempting to a migration.  You might want to get advice from the person who gave you advice before to start, since on this forum, we do not have the full picture of what you have configured.

• 5.  RE: Secondary IP addresses

Posted Sep 08, 2017 02:52 PM

I guess it's something we might review but at the moment I think we;re stuck with it.

So assuming we do end up needing these addresses what is the recommended way of configuring them on the controller? Do we have to use VRRP groups?

• 6.  RE: Secondary IP addresses

Posted Sep 08, 2017 02:55 PM

...we need addresses for:

controller

LMS

LMS striping

LMS for APs with wired port profiles

The recommendation was to have individual addresses for each of these. I can contact the chap who has been giving us advice up until now if there isn't an obvious answer to this, I was just (optimistically!) expecting it to be quite straightforward.

• 7.  RE: Secondary IP addresses
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 17, 2017 03:20 PM

Just to update this in case this is useful for anyone else:

We added extra addresses by using VRRP groups (just a single VRRP group with no matching partner on any other controller). This was the method recommended by our Aruba technical contacts.

However, when we include an entry in the striping table for an LMS address that a 32x-series AP is using we found that 5GHz clients can no longer connect to that AP (even if the AP is only singly connected). We have a TAC case open for this, they are able to replicate the issue and we hope to have a fix soon.

#AP-300