Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

Posted Oct 30, 2013 12:36 AM

Hi,

I have 10 IAPs and i don't have mobility controller.I am administrating IAPs through Virtual controller.Currently my all LAN users are on Wireless network.My data center and wireless lan are on same VLAN.

I want that my Datacenter and wireless should be on seperate VLAN.I have create two vlan -e. vlan 10 (Wireless) and vlan 20 (datacenter) inter vlan routing is working fine.

if i place my all IAPs in valn 10 on switch it will work.How i configure my virtual controller for all this.

• 2.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2013 05:42 AM

If you specify the vlan is the ssid settings, you'll need a trunk port for your APs.

Based on what you've said, for your APs, it would be trunk port (vlan 10,20), with vlan 20 to be the native vlan.  The APs will come up and get an ip in the data centre vlan (20), but the clients will be place in vlan 10.

Hope that helps.

• 3.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

Posted Oct 30, 2013 05:50 AM

Hi,

So i configure SSID for VLAN 10 in virtual controller.

i want that my Wlan client get dhcp IP addresss of vlan 10 from my server which reside in datacentre vlan 20.how i do this.

• 4.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2013 05:54 AM

you'll need a helper address vlan 10 that points to your server.  You can put this on the vlan interface on the network, or you can put into the config on the Instant.

My post here explains http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/IAP-105-how-to-configure-guest-vlan-with-ip-helper-address-to/m-p/110973#M2771

• 5.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

Posted Oct 30, 2013 05:59 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks got it.suppose if i place all APs in Vlan 10 all ports of switch will in access mode rather than trunk it will work or not??/

• 6.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2013 06:11 AM

In that case the APs will get an ip from vlan 10 and you'll need the helper address on your infrastructure.

If you then set the ssid vlan settings to be Network Assigned --> default, this means the clients get an ip in the same range as the APs themselves.

• 7.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

Posted Oct 30, 2013 06:23 AM

Mark,

Great its really helpful.

This is my last query  from you is that i have not found the  ip helper address option in my virtual controller.

• 8.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2013 06:25 AM

for the APs to come up in that vlan, you'll need to put the helper address on the vlan interface on your switch infrastructure.

• 9.  RE: Seperate Vlan for Wireless clients

Posted Oct 30, 2013 06:29 AM

Okay on saturday i will do the this activity and update you accrodingly.