Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

Posted Dec 09, 2011 08:58 AM

My controller 2400 (ip address is 10.10.10.10) is dhcp server and send ip address to my AP-61, and my AP-61 is able to get ip address from controller, let say my AP-61 ip address is 192.168.10.1 /24 (get from dhcp), then i change it manually to ip address 192.168.20.1 (branch ip address range), change the host master controller ip to 10.10.10.10, apply and reboot the AP. After that i move the AP to branch site, there is no controller at brance site. From the branch, ip address range 192.168.20.0 /24 is able to ping my controller ip 10.10.10.10, but once i connect the AP above to brance switch, AP not able to find controller. So should i reset my AP configuration then set static ip address for the AP since dhcp server at brance site without connect directly to the controller?

• 2.  RE: Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:05 AM

You probably want to figure out if any traffic is coming into the controller from that AP.  On the commandline of you controller, do this:

show datapath session table 192.168.20.1 

..and see if any traffic is coming in.  Is it possible that your AP has the wrong subnet mask or default gateway, by accident?

Type "show audit-trail" to see if you might have put in the wrong address.

The DHCP server does not have to be directly connected to your controller, and you do not need a static ip address on your AP.  Please see the video here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Knowledge-Base/Aruba-Controller-and-AP-Troubleshooting-Part-1/ta-p/18988

• 3.  RE: Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:41 AM

yes, i have use show datapath session table 192.168.20.1 , but no output display, when i use my laptop and set the same ip address and same gateway, i was able ping and access the controller from branch site.

• 4.  RE: Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:44 AM

is it possible that you set the wrong default gateway for that ap?

type "show audit-trail" to see what you provisioned on that AP.

• 5.  RE: Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

Posted Dec 09, 2011 10:08 AM

when the ap is boot until half, still not enough to see in controller, i was able to ping the ap ip address from HQ site, then after a while the ap rebooted by itself since it couldn't find controller. So if i have set the wrong gateway for ap, then i shouldn't be able to ping from HQ to brance ap ip address.

• 6.  RE: Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 10:15 AM

Okay, but you might have put in the wrong master ip address for the controller into the AP, so that it is pointing in the wrong direction.  paste in the output of "show audit-trail" so you can see where you pointed the AP to.

• 7.  RE: Set static ip address for AP-61 in controller 2400

Posted Dec 09, 2011 01:26 PM

I guess your best bet would be to either get AP console (console cable or serial over ethernet) to check whether parameters are set correctly or not.

If that is not possible than take AP uplink packet capture and see whether AP is try ting to contact the controller or not and at which point are you missing it.