Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting for max session time for VIA users and Inactivity

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Setting for max session time for VIA users and Inactivity

Posted May 07, 2015 03:54 PM

Is there a setting some where on the controller or ClearPass I can set the maximum amount of time a user can be connected to VIA for a single session? (This will force them to reconnect and we are ok with that)

On the same note. If there a way through the controller or AirWave to see if a user is inactive (through time or bandwidth)?

• 2.  RE: Setting for max session time for VIA users and Inactivity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2015 07:43 PM

The VIA "max session timeout" parameter is by default 1440 minutes.  It is defined as "The maximum time (minutes) allowed before the VIA session is disconnected".  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VIA/Configuring_the_VIA_.htm  Unfortunately, if your VIA client is configured to dynamically reconnect and automatically submit credentials, the client will automatically reconnect.  There is also a user idle timeout that determines if there is no traffic, the client will be disconnected.

When the Windows  Via client is connected, it indicates the connection time/ Max session time.

If a user is inactive, they should be removed from the controller's user table, unless the idle-timeout has been manipulated; in that case, there could be users in the table that do not exist...

• 3.  RE: Setting for max session time for VIA users and Inactivity

Posted May 08, 2015 12:00 PM

Thank you Colin! I suspected that field was the one I needed but needed clarification.

One follow-up. I take it when the max session time is met or the idle timeout time has been met a log would be generated on the controller for me to research? We do have automatic connect, so you are right about the clients may never disconnect as they would reconnect again. That did not register with me until you mentioned it.

With automatic reconnect I am introducing a new challenge in trying to find the best time to upgrade my controllers. If I see events of inactivity occur even though they are connected, I can at least tell they are inactive and can upgrade my controllers and their session fails over to the standby node without affecting their work.

• 4.  RE: Setting for max session time for VIA users and Inactivity

Posted Apr 15, 2020 03:27 PM

Nothing like commenting in a five year thread.  I was reading this and had a question about the command and expected behavior.  We use scripts to keep our VIA tunnel alive 24x7 regardless of user idleness.  This is so our IT can update the remote machines in the night as is possible.    In this scenario should one adjust this figure?  And any others?  Thanks.