Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting up an IAP cluster

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2017 03:51 PM
      |   view attached

Hi guys,

I am going to setting up a cluster made up of 16 IAPs. The point is the IAPs are going to have static IPs, and their uplink management VLAN isn't the native but VLAN 800. The switch ports where their uplinks end are trunk ports and the allowed VLANs are 2, 3 and 4 for corporate WLANs and 800 for AP management. How can I do for configuring the master AP and the rest of APs pull its configuration in this scenario? I think if I configure an AP to be the master and I want the rest of AP pull its configuration, it is not going to work, because the uplink management VLAN by default is 0 or 1, and these VLANs are not allowed in the trunks. Do I need to configure the APs one by one? I attached a network topology image.

Regards,
    Julián

• 2.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2017 04:20 PM

Why not use an external DHCP to assign IPs to the IAPs ?

• 3.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2017 07:25 PM

Hi Victor,

It can't be. It is a requirement of customer to have static IPs and specific management VLAN for the IAPs to best control them.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 28, 2017 08:09 PM
    In that case you will need to configure each IAP individually and configure the IP address from ap console
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-do-I-configure-a-static-IP-addreess-to-an-Instant-Access/ta-p/185590

The Master IAP will be automatically selected based on uptime on the network but you can configure the preferred master via cli
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/CustomizeIAPParams/Master_Election_Protocol.htm

• 5.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 29, 2017 09:20 AM

Hi Víctor,

You said by console, can't I configure the static IP for each IAP by the instant GUI?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

• 7.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 29, 2017 09:27 AM

Hi,

I know how to set a static IP from the GUI, but I don't know if I can reach the instant GUI when the management VLAN for uplink is not the native but it is another (800 in my case).

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 29, 2017 09:28 AM
    You can but the IAP needs to get an ip unless you can convert to standalone mode via cli
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-convert-IAP-to-Standalone-mode-from-CLI/ta-p/213709

Get Outlook for iOS

• 9.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 29, 2017 09:34 AM

Hi Victor,

Then you mean that the IAP needs to get an IP before I can reach the instant GUI and that the IAP can't get an IP when the management VLAN is not the default?

Regards,

Julián

• 10.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 30, 2017 10:00 AM

Hi Victor,

Am I right on what I have stated in my last post?

Then you mean that the IAP needs to get an IP before I can reach the instant GUI and that the IAP can't get an IP when the management VLAN is not the default?

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 30, 2017 11:31 AM

Hi Julian,

If i understand correctly , IAP's need to be configured with static IP's belonging to vlan 800.

However, vlan 800 will be tagged on the uplink port (switch side).

If my understnading is correct, you can try the following:

1. Connect the IAP's to the switch.

2. Initially IAP can not tag any packets as uplink management vlan is set to 0 by default.

3. So, it will send DHCP DISCOVER packets on native vlan.

"As there is no DHCP service on the network, the IAP obtains an IP automatically within the 169.254 subnet.

4. The instant SSID should be available to connect a client.

Connect a wireless client to instant SSID & navigate to "instant.arubanetworks.com".

We should get the login prompt  for the WebUI. The default credentials are admin/admin.

5. Once you are logged into Web UI, you can assign static IP's to the IAP's & change their uplink management vlan to 800.

We need to reboot the IAP's in order for these changes to take effect.

So, once you have set static IP's/uplink management vlan on all the IAP's, you can reboot them from the Web UI.

Note: if possible, try these steps on 2-3 IAP's initially . If everything works as expected, you can congfiure the remaining IAP's accordingly.

• 12.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 30, 2017 11:45 AM

Hi Nitesh,

You are right from step 1 to 3, but for step 4, I was able to connect to the instant SSID but not reach the WebUI (my browser was OK).

When I connect the IAP to a switch port in access mode (OK for the IAP default uplink management VLAN) with DHCP enabled, the IAP got an IP address and I was able to reach the WebUI.

Then my thought was that the IAP needs to have a valid IP address in order to users reach the WebUI.

Regards,

Julián

• 13.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 30, 2017 11:59 AM

Hi Julian,

As per our discussion on another thread, I will test it in lab once.

The 2nd options will be :

1. Configure all ports in access mode initially so that IAP gets an IP & comes up in the cluster.

2. Assign static IP's & change uplink management vlans.

3. Reboot the IAP's.

4. Change the port configuration to trunk .

• 14.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Mar 30, 2017 12:10 PM

Hi Nitesh,

I understant your 2nd option, in fact, I did it as you explained, and finally I was able to reach the WebUI, configure the IAP properly and then place the IAP on the trunk again, now well configured and working.

The problem now is I have to install many more IAPs on the network, I cannot do this 2nd option because are many trunk ports and I am not the administrator.

Regards,

Julián

• 15.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Apr 06, 2017 03:18 PM

Hi Nitesh,

Please let me know if I am right with the following procedure I plan to do with some IAPs:

1 - Configure by console the IAPs with static IPs and VLAN 800 for uplink.

2 - Connect the IAPs to the trunk ports.

3 - IAPs should see each other and one of them should be the master.

4 - Configure the master IAP with some SSIDs, and these SSIDs should be reflected on the rest of IAPs.

Regards,

Julián

• 16.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Apr 07, 2017 02:00 AM

Hi Julian,

I expect this to work fine.

But my suggestion will be to try this on handful of IAP's initially.

• 17.  RE: Setting up an IAP cluster

Posted Apr 07, 2017 04:50 PM

Hi Victor and Nitesh,

I have configured the IAP cluster as I explained in my previous message and your recommendations and it works! Thank you very much for your interest.

Best regards,

Julián