Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Sharing AP LIC between two standalone controllers

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Sharing AP LIC between two standalone controllers

Posted Jan 12, 2020 04:56 AM

is it possible to have physical standalone controller as the license server to standalone VMC ?

i installed the MC-VA-xx license installed on the VMC , but not the AP/PEF/RFP which i want to connect to physical controller to share.

• 2.  RE: Sharing AP LIC between two standalone controllers

Posted Jan 12, 2020 03:26 PM

A standalone can only exist by itself, with with a VRRP backup with another standalone (which is purely there for backup, so everything is done on the primary).

You can configure an Master Controller Mode (MCM) MC with a 2nd MC. The MC would be for management only; you cannot terminate any APs to the MCM machine. I believe that the licenses have to be installed on the MCM, but if it is possible to do what you want, it would have to be in this mode, not standalone. You may try putting the AP/PEF/RFP and MC-VA-xx on the physical controller configured as the MCM, but again, the MCM could not terminate APs, so all AP traffic would have to be to the MC-VA.

Here are a couple of other threads from other questions regarding MM, standalone, and MCM where I have explained some of the differences between them.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Does-the-upgradation-to-Aruba-os-8-requires-a-mobility-master/m-p/509621

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Arubaos8-two-controllers-redundancy-scenario/m-p/547580

I hope this helps,

• 3.  RE: Sharing AP LIC between two standalone controllers

Posted Jan 13, 2020 02:35 AM

thanks David for the explanation .

i was asking about the centralized license and wether it is possible to have pool of licenses for virtual and physical standalones instead of installing the licenses locally on each box.

i was able to achieve that by acitivting the MC-VA on the VMC and keeping the AP/PEF/RFP on the physical.

• 4.  RE: Sharing AP LIC between two standalone controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2020 12:25 PM

mohamed.heiba@hpe.com wrote:

i was able to achieve that by acitivting the MC-VA on the VMC and keeping the AP/PEF/RFP on the physical.

Just to confirm you did get this working, correct?

• 5.  RE: Sharing AP LIC between two standalone controllers

Posted Jan 13, 2020 12:32 PM

So, it appears that this is a Mobility Master (MM) managed network. Is that correct? From your standalone reference in your original post, i was thinking you were operating as a Standalone.