Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Sharing Wif connection on XP laptop

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Sharing Wif connection on XP laptop

Posted Oct 02, 2014 12:14 PM

I was investigating some rogue devices that are being reported by AMP and eventually found it.

Here's the situation:

The users that are renting some office space in our building have connected to our guest network (via captive portal) using the credentials we provided to them. From there, they are sharing the connection using a Windows XP (ICS) laptop then running a network cable to a WAN port on a router they have. There are roughly 7 desktop computers connected via a desktop switch. 

This is bad and I don't want this to continue but I would like some feedback from the community to help my case and perhaps a work around. The upside of this is: the users (or single user in this case) fall in to the guest role and are on a seperate vlan from our staff network. 

• 2.  RE: Sharing Wif connection on XP laptop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2014 03:27 PM

Are you using Clearpass?  Perhaps allow some post-auth actions like session limits and/or time? Another alternative to use OnGuard to enforce that connection sharing is disabled?

If you do have Clearpass, you could create these rules for just these renters in the building and not other guests to your company

• 3.  RE: Sharing Wif connection on XP laptop

Posted Oct 03, 2014 07:08 PM

Hi Seth,

No Clearpass yet.