Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

Posted Oct 14, 2014 04:09 PM

So I have a RAP setup and it works well for all data back to HQ, but for some reason the VOIP phone doesn't work so great. We have the phone plugged into the PoE port on the RAP 3 and we get the phone to boot up, show everything fine, can dial out and receive calls. HOWEVER, the call just goes blank when answered or picked up. 

So you dial to say voicemail or another person, internal or external. It rings, and as soon as they pick up, the phone goes silent. 

Internally the phone works perfectly. My best guess is that I am missing some VOIP specific configurations. This is my first RAP I have setup, and internally we have the phones connected to our switches, not going through the controller at all. 

What are some things you would recommend I check? 

EDIT: Running AOS 6.4.0.3

• 2.  RE: Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 14, 2014 06:19 PM
    Do you have your VOIP vlan trunked to your controller ?

One thing you could do is create a UDR using the OUI 00:10:49 and then applying all your priorities and markings to VOIP role applied by your UDR

For this to you need to create AAA profile apply the UDR , then use this AAA profile on your wired ports settings and make the port "Untrusted"

• 3.  RE: Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

Posted Oct 14, 2014 07:36 PM
    Also , you should consider upgrading to AOS 6.4.2.2

• 4.  RE: Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

Posted Oct 15, 2014 04:20 PM

The answer is yes I had VOIP trunked to my controller. HOWEVER, the person that setup the port channel specified allowed VLANS, and the VOIP VLAN was not listed as allowed. 

To kind of explain the setup,  we have two routes to get to the controller, 1 is more for management, but it could technically be setup to route properly. We had that set a trunk that allowed all VLANS. The Router however, only allowed VOIP on another portion of the network. (We don't need it in our Management Network) so the VOIP could originate from the controller to our VOIP Server, but anything the VOIP Server sent back would have to go through the Port Channel, but the VLAN was not allowed on the Port Channel. 

So long story short. It was a trunking issue. 

• 5.  RE: Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

Posted Nov 06, 2015 11:56 AM

Can you explain what is UDR? 

our case is that we have RAP users using VOIP phone. This is  at home user using RAP to use VOIP phone. Only one user for each RAP.

Alison

• 6.  RE: Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

Posted Nov 06, 2015 11:57 AM

How do we apply QOS settings?

• 7.  RE: Shoretel VOIP over RAP 3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2015 12:03 PM

UDR = user derivation rules.  It can be used to see the mac address of a phone and then apply a role with QOS in it to the ethernet interface.

For detailed information, please see the Voice VRD for Fixed Telecommuter Deployments here.  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Voice-Support-for-Fixed-Telecommuter-Deployments/ta-p/155616

QOS is normally applied by a user derivation rule setting a role that has QOS firewall policies.