Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

Posted May 14, 2014 11:13 AM

I need to know what is the effect of useing a spectrum analyzer access point on my wireless infrastructure and if I didn't use it ,will it effect the performance and if I want to use it where I can use ,and can I use it in any location or I should specify the locations.

• 2.  RE: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?
    Best Answer

Posted May 14, 2014 11:21 AM

The effect will be the ability to see what is in the air around the access point you decide to provision as an access point. You can provision any access point that is capable of spectrum monitoring no matter the location. There is a license associated with sprectrum monitoring

One thing i have done is provision APs that are in a trouble area just to see whats going on the change them back shortly after i gather information.

• 3.  RE: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

Posted May 15, 2014 08:44 AM
    As Jamie mentioned, it will require an RF Protect license but if you are using Aruba Instant, then no licensing is involved but I believe you will be able to get more out of your campus AP as a spectrum as you can save the output and play it back using Aruba's RF Playback software from the support site.

• 4.  RE: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2014 09:00 AM

The other piece is, do you need remote spectrum capability or are you more likely to go to the location to troubleshoot? If the latter, consider a tool like Metageek WiSpy.

http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy/

• 5.  RE: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

Posted May 17, 2014 06:14 AM

Dears Thank you all I will be on location and also If I record the Analysis from access point can I download it directoly to my PC or should I Have FTP server?

• 6.  RE: Should I use an access point as a spectrum analyzer in my infrastructure or no ?

Posted May 19, 2014 10:50 AM

Yes, you will be able to download it directly to your PC.