Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Signal strength measurements

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Signal strength measurements

Posted Jan 31, 2019 02:26 PM

Hi guys,

I am newbie in the site surveys world and when I want to make signal strength measurements I always have the same problem. Some days ago I took an IAP to have an AP on a stick, and started to make signal strength measurements all around to check the wall attenuation. The problem is the signal strength constantly changes, -70, -63, -67, -80 dBm... I use InSSIDer and NetSpot and both have this problem. Furthermore, the signal strength values are different between these two applications, so which one to trust? And when I tried to take the measurements from my phone, it was even worse since I use Wifi Analyzer and the signal strength value changes even more. For those with hands-on experience on this topic? How do you take signal strength measurements? Any tip?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Signal strength measurements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2019 03:05 PM

Please take time to read about how to accurately do a site survey here:

https://www.wlanpros.com/resources/seven-rules-accurate-site-surveys/

Signal Strength varies because RF is reflected from objects and is not measured directly from the access point.  Professional Site Survey software mitigates this issue.  Inssider is not Professional site survey software.  Please read the article above, because it will answer many of your questions.

• 3.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Feb 01, 2019 12:42 PM
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies and links. But in the case of phones where I can't install a professional site survey software, how can I accurately measure signal strength? I have a customer where most clients are phones so I have to see the point of view of them of what signal strength they receive.

Regards,
    Julián

• 4.  RE: Signal strength measurements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 12:46 PM

Professional Site Survey software like Ekahau and Airmagnet Survey pro allow you to adjust the sensitivity to match a phone.

• 5.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Feb 07, 2019 01:52 AM
    If you have a Wi-Fi phone or a PDA, you should use a separate method provided by the manufacturer. You have to look for it.
    Professional tools rarely provide much for them.

• 6.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Feb 07, 2019 08:12 AM
    Hi,

A separate method provided by the manufacturer? What do you mean? Phones' manufacturers don't provide a method to make signal strength measurements. Otherwise, can you give an example?

Regards,
    Julián

• 7.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Feb 07, 2019 07:59 PM
    The manufacturer does not offer it, but you can check it out.
    For example, when Android enters service mode, you can see a menu that displays information about the device.
    The same goes for the iPhone. Other PDAs,
    Developers and engineers can see this.

안드로이드.png안드로이드2.png 

• 8.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Feb 08, 2019 10:00 AM

Hi ohsung.kim,

Thanks for the information. I have checked it out with my Android and it tells you a lot of info about Wi-Fi such as RSSI, MCS, transmit power and many more. Very useful :)

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Mar 19, 2019 04:17 PM

You may also want to try the mobile versions of different professional survey tools. For example, AirMagnet/Ekahau/iBwave all have Android based survey solutions that use the Wi-Fi radio on the mobile device (phone or tablet) to collect the data.

• 10.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Jan 31, 2019 03:17 PM

Hi Julian,

As someone already stated, what you are seeing isn't a problem, it is just the way Wi-Fi works!

Survey tools will average out the readings for you.

• 11.  RE: Signal strength measurements

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 31, 2019 06:04 PM
    I can advise you to buy the CWNA official studyguide 5th edition for just 65$. Its well worth to really understand wifi.

• 12.  RE: Signal strength measurements

Posted Jan 31, 2019 07:04 PM
    The signal strength measurement depends on the type of laptop. To be precise, it can be measured differently depending on the performance of the LAN card on the laptop.
    It would be easier to understand the difference between the tool and the other laptop or smart phone of the same tool than comparing the signal measuring tool.
    Since the installed drive of the lan card governs the operation of the LAN card, it can affect the signal strength, the scan time, and so on.