Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Site surveys

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Site surveys

Posted Jul 27, 2012 07:45 PM

Hello everyone

I was wondering how do you do the site survyes when you don thave the autocad plans of the building or that kind of thing

Do you survy with an Instant AP?

at least i do survy with an IAP the issue with this is that i need to carry a battery, a laptop to plug in the IAP to the IAP(if i plug it and then when the wireless is up unplug it the wireless dies in a few mins after) so i need to plug the laptop and have the laptop plugged to the IAP.. and its really unconfortable... or at least it is for me hehehe

Do you guys survey in some other way? because it would be awsome if there was an easier way than to carry all that all around the building... and i mean sometimes i have to survey BIG buildings... which are not equal everywhere.. i mean every flor is different and this take hours...

Also i don tknow if someone had this issue in which you need to have the laptop connected  to the IAP during all the survy? is there a way to configure something like  a loopback or something to even if i dont have the laptop connected to the ethernet port it goes up the wireless?

• 2.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 27, 2012 08:50 PM

I have typically configured an AP in RAP mode and with the use of the redundancy modes of SSIDs (Always/backup) you can create a standalone site survey AP.

then... duct tape to that AP a small (perhaps Tekkeon brand) battery pack and "Voila" you have a site survey AP.

Since the apparatus is small it can be put above a ceiling tile or clipped to the ceiling tile and the battery left ontop of the tiles etc... its worked well for me.

Now mind you this approach does not have ht eflexibility that hte iAP would in terms of on the fly config changes etc... instead everything would be static.

So YMMV as to how much you weight the simplicity for the decreased flexibility.

• 3.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 27, 2012 09:27 PM

no your solution sounds fine to me..

I already know that but i dindt came with that solution that i could use always SSID up on ap on rap mode....

Thanks for pointing it... ill try that in my next survy :)

Its a great idea

ill search in the internet to see if i can find that battery pack in which i can attach my AP im looking a small one as the one we using its like soo big... =(

• 4.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 27, 2012 10:39 PM

Try these guys on battery packs.

They make AWESOME (technical term) stuff.

http://www.tekkeon.com/

JF

• 5.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 28, 2012 02:34 AM

Which one you use?

I guess you use one of these... in which you can set the voltage power...

http://tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

Im really insterested in this... as i can ask the manager to buy this i mean this would help us  A LOT for the survys.. and im pretty sure he will aprove it... but i have to be sure which one because we would need to ship it here...

Really thanks man! ill talk to the manager tomorrow.

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 28, 2012 02:34 PM

Hello sorry for bothering you again and soo much

The manager here aproved it but he was asking me about hte exact model we needing for that and the accesories...

Do you just bough this model?

MP3450i R3 or MP3450 R3 

Did you need to  buy an accesory with it?

Well i already send and email to the sales deparment of Tekkeon if they could help me to choose and pick the accesories   ineed though but if its not soo much bothering with this could you tell me if thats the model you tested? and which accesories you used like maybe the power plug? or it came all with the product in a package?

• 7.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:18 AM

Great to hear.

The 3450i  (more power captain :)) would be my recommendation.   I have used both models in the past.

For the accessory kit, yes I did purchase to give me flexibility to using the battery (have had for 3+ years now) and I have also purchased the replacement 'tips'/adapters when needed.    Its a good company to deal with in my experience.

JF

• 8.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 30, 2012 12:01 PM

Thanks again

Just a last question that got me worried.

the adapter type and size comes with the 3450i or you had to buy it as an accesory or something?

I asked the sales man but he told me that this is a barrel style adapter which they have but if it is not a common size, then none of the adapters included with the MP3450 would be the correct one and you would need to compare the ones included to determine the correct size.

Do you k now that if the ones that come with the IAP its a common size one?

He also was telling me

If the outer diameter is 3.0 and inner is 1.1mm, then you would need out PA-L30 adapter. This adapter does not come with either myPower ALL units. If its 3.4 x 1.3mm, this is our PA-L34 and this adapter is included with the MP3450 and not the MP3450i.

I have been trying to measure with a ruler and it seems that its a PA-LA34 but im not that sure.... 

• 9.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 30, 2012 01:53 PM

I used to configure an AP as a RAP, you might consider an IAP for ease of config changes now that they exist.

• 10.  RE: Site surveys

Posted Jul 31, 2012 12:44 AM

Agreed... multiple options available here... Controller on a cart ,   RAP by itself,  iAP by itself.        With those three solutions you are ready for pretty much anything ;)