Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

Posted Oct 04, 2019 11:44 AM

We have recently deployed a new Instant cluster, based on AP-515 access points, running ArubaOS 8.5.0.2.

We noticed that actual perceived speeds for clients were low, even though the signal was very good.

Based on the client's association to the network, a client should be at 173Mbps (VHT, 2SS, 20Mhz, 256QAM, SGI).

However, the maximum speed for -any- client, even those with an SNR of 50 or higher, never exceeds 86Mbps in the Instant UI.

Setting the channel width to 40Mhz doubles the speed, but it's still much lower than what is should be: this time 173 instead of 400.
    Basically, it looks as if only 1 spatial stream is being utilized. But this conflicts from what we see in the association table.

We tried downgrading to 8.4.0.4 to see if this fixes the issue (8.4 is the lowest supported for this type of AP), to no avail.

We manage lots of IAP clusters, all with nearly identical configurations. The config of this cluster is based on a cluster of IAP-305s running 6.5.4.12.

On any other cluster running 6.5.4.12, the speeds (both perceived as well as in the UI) are much better than on this new cluster with newer APs.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2019 01:23 PM

@stevenjacobs wrote:

We have recently deployed a new Instant cluster, based on AP-515 access points, running ArubaOS 8.5.0.2.

We noticed that actual perceived speeds for clients were low, even though the signal was very good.

Based on the client's association to the network, a client should be at 173Mbps (VHT, 2SS, 20Mhz, 256QAM, SGI).

However, the maximum speed for -any- client, even those with an SNR of 50 or higher, never exceeds 86Mbps in the Instant UI.

What channel width was it on initially when you observed this?

• 3.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

Posted Oct 05, 2019 04:50 AM

Hello Colin,

We had the cluster configured at 20Mhz from day one. Only yesterday we discovered this symptom after we received some complaints about the speeds.

• 4.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2019 06:49 AM

Do you have broadcast filtering enabled on all of your SSIDs?

How many SSIDs do you have configured?

How are your IAP-515s powered?

• 5.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 05, 2019 08:01 AM

Hi Colin,

They are powered by PoE+.

And that's when the penny dropped... We forgot to enable LLDP.

After enabling it I noticed the inline power went up from 15.4 to 30, and speeds went up as well.

Once again, you saved the day! Cheers!

• 6.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

Posted Nov 10, 2022 01:47 AM
    Hi,

we have same problem, what did you do and where to get power  30w? 

• 7.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2022 02:00 AM
    you can do a number of things.
    first as stated here enable LLDP on your switches since APs will use LLDP to negotiate PoE
    if your switch does not support LLDP or you have a switch that can not provide 802.3at then you can enable IPM on the IAPs.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 8.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

Posted Nov 10, 2022 04:21 AM
    Hi,

thanks for reply. lldp is on but some optional is not. So in my case there is other reason. We have aruba 1930 jl686a switch it should delivered power up to 25W. Maybe Building cables  are too old and cannot deliver max power?

• 9.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2022 06:23 AM
    so you have AP-515 running Instant firmware using PoE from 1930 switch?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 10.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

Posted Nov 10, 2022 07:22 AM

those ap's are managet by aruba central and yesterday i update firmware from 8.6.0.x to 8.11.0

yes i use 1930 poe.

Y

• 11.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2022 04:39 PM
    so is the Power LED now amber on these AP-515s?

• 12.  RE: Slow Negotiated Speed for AP-515 Access Points

Posted Nov 11, 2022 02:41 AM

Hi,

it is green.