Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Slow Wireless

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Slow Wireless

Posted Sep 26, 2016 04:54 PM

Hi Guys, 

I was hoping you could advise me on a slow wireless issue that one of clients are experiencing. 

They do not know much about networking in general and there network has been very large in terms of address space. 

They only run two vlans across their network one for domain users and one for guest. Wired and Wireless all goes into one VLAN, which has a /16 subnet mask and VLAN 1 is used across their network. They are complaining that wireless is very slow and they have frequent drop outs. I can deal with drop outs issue, but would like to know from you guys how to handle the slowness. 

They have a controller deployment with 105's and 205's running. 

I have already ticked marked the "Drop Brodcast and Unknown Multicast and "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast". I have enabled "BCMC (Broadcast-Multicast) Optimization" on the VLAN and have disabled the basic transmit rates. They have said that this has made an improvement, but not a siginificant improvement and the experienced is still not good.

Can you confirm from the wireless side that I have done everything or do I need to do anything else?

Can you confirm if I connect my laptop to their wireless and do a wireshark capture that I will be able to show them the problem interms of broadcast?

Without affecting the users too much is it possible to create two much smaller test VLANS and test wireless on their existing corp SSID? I expect this to give much better results. 

Would explaining segmentation, advising them to keep wired and wireless on separate VLANS be the best option?

Many Thanks, 

• 2.  RE: Slow Wireless

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2016 11:00 PM

Please look at the article here to check for other things:  Removing the Bottleneck in Wireless - Airheads Community

The only way to definitively know if you were doing something wrong is for TAC to look at your logs.tar with tech support to understand what could be going wrong.