Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Small or home lab



I have questions about building a small lab for 8.x. I've searched through the forums and found that this topic has been discussed several times in the past, but none of the previous posts apply to my scenario. 


I have several APs left over from a small deployment and would like to connect them to a Virtual Mobility Master for lab use with 8.x. Do I need to licenses even if I only have 1, 2 or 3 APs managed by the VMM? Do I need a VMC too, or can the VMM take care of everything in this small of a deployment? 


Thank you, 


I deployed 8.x before it was cool
Contributor I

Re: Small or home lab



Yes, you need licenses for the APs and a VMC or hardware MC to terminate the AP.




Wireless network engineer consultant| @phivil | ACMP ACCP ACDX #759
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Small or home lab

It's my understanding that the virtual mobility master can terminate the APs, that is, act as the MC as well as the MM. Can someone confirm? 

I deployed 8.x before it was cool
MVP Guru

Re: Small or home lab

The Mobility Master (MM) will NOT terminate any AP. To get the full ArubaOS 8 new architecture you will need at least one of each (Virtual/HW) Mobility Master, (Virtual/HW) Mobility Controller, Access Point and possible an ArubaOS switch if you want to do tunneled node.


Please try to consult your local Aruba SE if you need assistance to pick the right equipment for your lab.

If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: