Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Software to check the Signal Strength

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Software to check the Signal Strength

Posted Jan 02, 2012 05:15 AM

Hi,

We have recently purchased Instant 105 Wireless Access Points for our office.

What is the method of deciding the location for these access poits inside our office; so that we get the maximum coverage and best strength in desired locations?

Could a software installed on a Laptop be of help to roam around in the office, and reach a conclusion?

Regards

Yagyesh

• 2.  RE: Software to check the Signal Strength
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2012 09:31 AM

If you have access to the Downloads section of the Aruba support site, support.arubanetworks.com, you should be able to download and install the VisualRF planning tool (under AirWave->VisualRF Plan). This tool will allow you to import a floor plan and place access points. It is a great place to start.

• 3.  RE: Software to check the Signal Strength

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2012 01:27 PM

Visual RF is great for planning, but it doesn't have "site survey support" (at least without AirWave).

You could use Ekahau (check the website www.wifithatworks.com for more info). If you're on a tight budget (as most of us are) you can try Ekahau HeatMapper, which is a free lite version that might do the trick for you.

• 4.  RE: Software to check the Signal Strength

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2012 01:32 PM

Or if you have access to a Mac, you could use 

http://www.netspotapp.com/

Which is free.

But I always start with VisualRF. Then I use other tools later to verify coverage. Even just walking around with InSSIDer works well.

• 5.  RE: Software to check the Signal Strength

Posted Jan 22, 2012 07:27 AM

Thanks to both of you, and sorry for my delayed response.

Actually, I registered myself on the Aruba support site to access the Downloads section - thanks to zjennings!

But as the registration process takes some time, and we could not wait on this, we took the help of our vendor to do this for us. We sent them our office Floor Plan, and they returned to us the Heat Map with the IAPs positions. And the Access Points are working great since then!

And thanks so much for the links to the other site - I'll go through them!

Thanks & Regards

Yagyesh