Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Some smartphone clients can't connect

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 06:11 AM

Hi all,

In my new controller 7205 with 6.4.4.5 version we are experiencing some connection problems. It's a wifi with dot1x auth and internal DHCP for ip assignment. As you can see in the debug log of one of affeted user, The authentication aginst Radius is correct (I can confirm this with Radius logs), and after, when smartphone client ask for IP, it never gets... But if you see the logs or DHCP binding, the controller is offering correctly the IP to client.

The only error you see in the log, is this Deauthentication --->

Mar 29 10:07:12 :522245:  <DBUG> |authmgr|  user_age() called for MAC bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f IP 192.168.56.9.
    Mar 29 10:07:17 :501102:  <NOTI> |AP AP-SISTEMAS@172.18.8.30 stm|  Disassoc from sta: bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f: AP 172.18.8.30-84:d4:7e:ae:3c:13-AP-SISTEMAS Reason STA has left and is disassociated
    Mar 29 10:07:17 :501000:  <DBUG> |AP AP-SISTEMAS@172.18.8.30 stm|  Station bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f: Clearing state
    Mar 29 10:07:17 :522296:  <DBUG> |authmgr|  Auth GSM : USER_STA delete event for user bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f age 0 deauth_reason 8
    Mar 29 10:07:17 :522036:  <INFO> |authmgr|  MAC=bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f Station DN: BSSID=84:d4:7e:ae:3c:13 ESSID=gsmart VLAN=56 AP-name=AP-SISTEMAS
    Mar 29 10:07:17 :522234:  <DBUG> |authmgr|  Setting idle timer for user bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f to 300 seconds (idle timeout: 300 ageout: 0).
    Mar 29 10:07:17 :501000:  <DBUG> |stm|  Station bc:f5:ac:f7:5b:0f: Clearing state

If you wait several minutes.... finally the client can connect correctly, but if the client moves from an AP to another AP (roaming), the problem returns...

Can you help me please?

With my old controller (3200XM) with 6.4.2.2 version I have not this problem... and the only difference in settings between old and new controller is in the old I had forced ARM to max Tx EIRP... in the RF Management options... but I don't think this is the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Attachment(s)

txt
    aruba.txt   189 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 07:36 AM

What APs are you using ?

Do you have 802.11k enabled ?

What type of smarphones are you having issues with ?

Can you share the user-role ACLs, show rights 

How's ARM EIRP levels configured ?

• 3.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 08:27 AM

What APs are you using ?

105, 93 and some 205's models

Do you have 802.11k enabled ?

nop...

What type of smarphones are you having issues with ?

Android... with IOS I think no problem right now...

Can you share the user-role ACLs, show rights 

"ip access-list session ses_pol_PTM-gsmart-Auth_role
      user   alias "Private Networks" any  deny
      user any any  permit"

As you can see... for this service we have a very simple config... so only permit access to internet for the smartphones

How's ARM EIRP levels configured ?

802.11a Max Tx EIRP18 and Min Tx EIRP 12

802.11g Max Tx EIRP9 and Min Tx EIRP 6

before... with old controller I had configured 127 value for min and max...

Thanks

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 08:43 AM
    Sincd you have 802.11ac APs and 802.11n Make sure have 80 MHz and VHT disable

Sent from Outlook for iPhone

• 5.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 08:52 AM

I can sure that VHT is disable.... but, where I can see the 80 MHz config?

• 6.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 09:11 AM
    Under ARM

• 7.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 09:19 AM

Ok I see... thanks... I had it Enable... so right now I will disable 80MHz support

• 8.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 10:18 AM

Hello,

I can confirm... the problem occurs when I move from an Access Point to another Access Point... Then the client (smartphone) can't connect until a few minutes... Looks like the connection had freezed a few minutes... The client remains in "getting IP" continuosly... but in the logs, the controller offers an IP address to client without problem, so I think that the DHCP isn't the problem...

Regards...

• 9.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 10:43 AM
    You mentioned that you originally had your EIRP (Power) set to Max , if you started seeing issues after lowering it you probably should look at your AP and signal distribution and make sure that there isn't a big gap between APs

Did you guys performed a site survey ?

Also depending on how many 802.11ac APs you have in your environment disabling 80 MHz will definitely improve the channel distribution

Are you using DFS channels by any chance ?

• 10.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 29, 2016 12:11 PM

Hi,

I'm not using DFS channels... Respect to 802.11ac APs, actually I have only two 205 Aps and 45 APs 105's or 93. Anyway I have already disable 80 Mhz.

I'm going to try to increase the EIRP in order to check if this solve my problem... although I don't think...

Thanks...

Carlos

• 11.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 30, 2016 05:26 AM

Hello,

Yesterday I increased de EIRP but didn't solve my problem... as I expected. I have realized more test for today... and I can confirm that...

1.- First connection to my WiFi without problems...

2.- If I move around the building within the wireless coverage area... I continue connected to the wifi with my smartphone.

3.- If I leave the coverage area, when I come back no longer reconnect. I have to turn off the wifi on the smartphone five minutes ... then I turn and connects me

In the debug log only I see the as I attached yesterady in my first post...

Have you some idea about this...?

Thanks and regards

Carlos

• 12.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2016 06:24 AM

You would only increase the EIRP on the 802.11a radio...

• 13.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Mar 30, 2016 06:38 AM

Thanks.... I have done right now... But the problem continue... I don't think that modificating the EIRP values I can solve theses "disconnections"...

• 14.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

Posted Aug 13, 2018 02:49 PM

CJMORENO, were you ever able to solve this issue? We're running into a very similar issue after changing the vlan assignment within a user-role. Our clients sit and spin when attempting to connect to the SSID even though they are showing up in the controller's user-table in the correct user-role. I've found that when I issue a "aaa user delete mac x.x.x.x.x.x" the client is able to reconnect but the issue eventually reappears. I do have a case open but am waiting to hear back from TAC. Thanks in advance!

JB

• 15.  RE: Some smartphone clients can't connect

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 03:08 PM

Jonathan,

It is not recommended to change the VLAN within a user role.  Is this a Captive Portal SSID or 802.1x SSID?  If you are using a radius server, you should use a radius attribute to change the VLAN, instead.

Also, the case above is two years old, so there is a 50/50 chance of whether it was hardware, software, configuration or environment that caused that issue.