Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Spanning-Tree and VRRP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Spanning-Tree and VRRP

Posted Dec 05, 2014 08:56 AM

I'm testing our new controllers (two 7220s) in the lab. The controllers are setup as master-standby master VRRP type configuration. Both controllers have connections going to the core (switch 1) and to another switch [switch 2] (switch 2 is the controllers default-gateway). Currently the standby-master controller is being blocked via SPT. My question is should I disable SPT on the controllers ports and globally? Should the standby-master be blocked? (I'm assuming yes). I just want to verify if anyone ran into ths issue and think my setup is correct.

Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: Spanning-Tree and VRRP
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 05, 2014 09:15 AM

I recommend you disable STP on your controllers globally and let your Core switch handle that process.

no spanning-tree

• 3.  RE: Spanning-Tree and VRRP

Posted Dec 05, 2014 09:23 AM

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Spanning-Tree and VRRP

Posted Dec 05, 2014 01:29 PM

I've disabled STP on both controllers and everything works fine. I've configured the controllers with VRRP and centralized licensing, with STP disabled on both controllers, both of their uplinks to the core and another switch will be active (forwarding)  my concern is would this create a loop in the network?

• 5.  RE: Spanning-Tree and VRRP
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 05, 2014 01:43 PM
    You should be fine as long as your Core switch has STP enabled

• 6.  RE: Spanning-Tree and VRRP

Posted Dec 05, 2014 02:28 PM

It does and its the root bridge.

Thanks.