Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: Spanning-tree setting

I have RSTP enabled on my HP switches and also on Aruba controllers. I get sudden port blocked by STP and online messages on certain port. If I disable STP from my Aruba controller I get excessive broadcast errors.

HP settings are globally enable STP and force RSTP, no other settings.
Aruba STP settings are default, globally enabled.

Any help on this?

Highlighted

Are you using a port-channel or are they two independent switched ports?

If this response is more than 1 year old, it may no longer be accurate. Please consult official Aruba documentation, TAC or your Aruba SE.

| Aruba Alumni | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

Highlighted
Super Contributor II

3000 series controllers using independent switchports.

Highlighted

Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread. Are the two upstream switches independent or are they stacked/VSS pairs?

If this response is more than 1 year old, it may no longer be accurate. Please consult official Aruba documentation, TAC or your Aruba SE.

Highlighted
Super Contributor II

They are two separate switches in the lab and as far as I am aware this is the same where it will be implemented.

Highlighted

With RPVST enabled, try running show spantree instead. 

This may not be much help with your current setup, but the ideal one if you were rebuilding the upstream infrastructure would be a cross-stack port-channel (multichasis etherchannel, whatever else people call it). Anytime that I have deployed a controller with upstream devices in the same segment, I always use LACP port-channels with short timers. You can avoid a lot of the spanning-tree headaches and you also gain load balancing so both links are actively forwarding traffic.

I'm very interested to hear what others have done with standalone upstream switches and spanning-tree. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Another question - how do the Instant APs with multiple ports overcome the issue of loops - can STP be configured on the devices, do they generate BPDUs etc.

Highlighted

Starting in Instant 4.0, spanning-tree is supported in wired-profiles. I'm not sure how it was handled prior to 4.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: