Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Spectrum Monitoring?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Spectrum Monitoring?

Posted May 16, 2018 09:59 AM

My company has been having major issues with bandwith on our Aruba Access points. We have 3 205 and 1 new 305 IAP. It seems I can not get upload speeds greater than 2 Mbps. If I enable spectrum monitoring things get drasticly better so obviously we are having some channel interferance.

My issue is that I need to take one of our access points out of production to just perform specturm monitoring. Is there anyway I can schedule this to occur durring off hours?

• 2.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 10:02 AM

Turning an AP into a spectrum monitor should not really help your performance unless that access point is causing cochannel interference and turning it off reduces that and improves your performance.

When your client is doing a performance test, what band is it on, 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Please take a screenshot of your Dashboard> Performance page and post it here.

• 3.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

Posted May 16, 2018 10:03 AM

Client is connected at 5GHz

• 4.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 10:07 AM

How many access points do you have?  Are you running 80mhz channels?  (If the channel has an E after it, you are running 80 mhz channels and you should consider running 40 or 20 mhz channels to avoid cochannel interference).

You should also ensure that broadcast filtering is on on all of your Virtual APS (by default it is not).

• 5.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

Posted May 16, 2018 10:15 AM

We have 4 access points and we are using wide channel support.

Broadcast filtering is set to ARP on all SSIDs.

• 6.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 10:28 AM

Are these instant APs or controller-based APs?  If they are instant, please provide a screenshot of the list of the APs with the RF utilization and channels.  If these are controller-based, please provide a screenshot of Dashboard> Performance.

• 7.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

Posted May 16, 2018 10:43 AM

These are IAPs. Pleasee see the screenshots below with and without spectrum monitoring.

• 8.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 11:17 AM

How far apart are these access points and how high are they mounted?

• 9.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 12:45 PM

I am asking because those access points are at the highest transmit power and that could be causing your issues.  The real difference between the spectrum and non-spectrum screenshot is that in the non-spectrum screenshot, two access points are on channel 60, which combined with max power could cause significant cochannel interference.  That is not mentioning clients grouping on access points that they are nowhere near to, due to the high AP power.

• 10.  RE: Spectrum Monitoring?

Posted May 16, 2018 01:05 PM

I have been messing with the power settings and lowering it does not seem to improve performance. However disabling support for wide channel seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you for your response and time.