Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Splitting Master and Slave and promoting Slave

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Splitting Master and Slave and promoting Slave

Posted Aug 01, 2016 08:02 AM

Hi all, I have been given the job of splitting our Master and Two slave controllers due to the useage of old AP61s and out need to update firmware.

We currently have a 7200 and two 3400s running 6.3.1.22. However we still have a number of customers using AP61/65s. We cannot update firmware to 6.4, but the only new APs customers can buy will only work on 6.4.

To get around this, we are making on of our Slaves a master and joining the remaing slave to that. We can then update those two to 6.4. The orginal Master will stay on 6.3 and server thos customers sites with old APs until such time they upgrade.

My main question is the process of making the Slave a master, we use Remote APs for all our sites. The internal user database is the same across all the switches and all the APs are set to our orginal master when they are provisioned. We then use AP system profiles to "push" the APs to relevent switch.

What sort of things do I need to look out for? Will they AP groups and configs stay on the slave when its prompted?

Thanks!

James

• 2.  RE: Splitting Master and Slave and promoting Slave

Posted Aug 01, 2016 08:05 AM

Sorry, wrong forum.

• 3.  RE: Splitting Master and Slave and promoting Slave

Posted Aug 02, 2016 04:13 AM

Hi,. so yes that all went well. I found a few userdb entres missing and spotted them by watching the event logs.

Today, I need to update the firmware on the two newly paired switches (master and local). The orginal master will stay untouched to serve old APs.

I went to the new master and rebooted an AP and it came back. i then went to provisioning and changed the Master Controller IP to the new master I created but the AP did not come back. I tried another and that did the same! This is an AP that terminates to the slave using the AP System Profile.

Next I tried the same thing with an AP that terminates via its AP System Profile to the Master. This did the same thing.

So, am I missing something on the new Master? All I did yesterway was break the links, create new between the new pair, check UserDB.

• 4.  RE: Splitting Master and Slave and promoting Slave

Posted Aug 02, 2016 04:29 AM

Ok its all sorted. I had a check of the licenses and I had to put the IP of the orignal master in as the license server. So the APs have come up now.

• 5.  RE: Splitting Master and Slave and promoting Slave
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 08:06 AM

You should export the local-user database on the master, just to be save.  You might have to import that into any switches that you split from that master.