Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

Posted Jan 29, 2020 09:40 AM

AOS: 8.6

Controller: 7005

1x AP-215 is provisioned with that standalone controller

(Just Labor environment)

What are the configuration steps to get a simple WLAN with Internet routable acces, no authentication, no everything, just two subnets, one for mobile devices (only wifi) and the other with direct internet link connected tp port GE-0/0/0. 

It is inceredible how complicated the WebUI is, nothing to find correlation between features and options, practising reverse engineering since day. Horrible! You need to study lot of radio and authentication stuff many weeks before you are able to set a simple wifi... it is really a bad joke.

Please help

• 2.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 10:00 AM

If you have a VLAN connected to the controller that is providing DHCP, the easiest way is to use the WLAN Wizard to create it:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_85_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/virtual-ap/basi-wlan-conf-work.htm?Highlight=wizard

Doing layer 2/3 configuration like assigning ip addresses, creating a trunk and assigning VLANs to interfaces mirrors how you would configure things on a Cisco device are much easier using the commandline, however:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_85_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/1cli-commands/interface-vlan.htm

In short, I would configure my VLANs and interfaces first via the commandline, and then use the Wizard to create WLANs referencing those VLANs.

• 3.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

Posted Jan 30, 2020 07:04 AM

Hi,

thank you for that much information, but doesnt help.

Here are my configuration steps:

1. Configuration > Interfaces > Ports: Add port GE-0/0/0 Mode Trunk

2. Configuration > Interfaces > VLANs: create vlan Internet (static ip) & vlan wifi_clients (act as DHCP server)

3. Configuration > Interfaces > IP Routes: Add static default gateway from ISP who is connectet to the port GE-0/0/0 tagged

4. Configuration > WLANs: Add WLAN (ssid: test, vlan: wifi_clients, security: wpa2 personal, access: authenticated)

Results:

From CLI I can ping the gateway from ISP. That means Internet connection works.

Clients can connect to the WLAN and got IP from DHCP service. But could not leave the subnet to the internet.

What is missing?

• 4.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2020 07:11 AM

You are almost done:

On the client VLAN interface, you have to configure "source nat"  in the GUI or "ip nat inside" on the commandline.

That is necessary for clients with private ip addresses to pass their traffic onto the internet (NAT router).

• 5.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2020 07:29 AM

Thank you, it works :D

So for the Rest of the world:

Go to Configuration > Interfaces > VLANs > click on the public vlan (internet) > IPv4 > Other Options > enable "NAT outside"

Source NAT is already present at Configuration > Interfaces > Pool Management > NAT Pool "dynamic-srcnat"

Just enable "NAT outside" on the public VLAN.

Thanks

Markus

• 6.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2020 07:48 AM
    What networking or wireless product were you using before?
    It would be easier to understand the concepts on terms of other similar products.

• 7.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

Posted Jan 30, 2020 07:57 AM

It plays no role, what i've used before, I am a network engineer since 20 years. Aruba Wireless products are really strong, stable and powerfull.

But the WebGUI is horrible to use, nothing to find correlations, not intuitiv, like in this example with NAT. You can find it under "Pool Management"?!?!?!? What is that?

Working with PaloAltoNetworks, this WebGUI is bulid for Adminitrators. It makes a lot of fun tu work with PaloAlto.

Or Wireless Ubiquity, so easy Interface und looks nice too. 

What is the problem at Aruba? Maybe it relays on HP ;-) smiley

• 8.  RE: Step-by-Step Guide deploying simple WLAN with Internet Access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2020 08:03 AM
    It certainly plays a role. If you said you used vendor X, I would draw parallels to that vendor.

Many manufacturers call features different things. ArubaOS is much more configurable and full-featured than other manufacturers, so many more structures that are unfamiliar. Everyone uses what makes the most sense. I am marking this thread answered.