Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Feb 15, 2013 02:55 PM

Recently moved to HP for our core and our residential wireless network has been significantly slower with faster uploads than downloads.  So if you unplug the aruba ap from the HP switch and then plug in directly a laptop speeds are normal.  Wondering if there is a MTU size issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Feb 16, 2013 08:54 AM

Look on the interfaces to see if you see any errors on the HP interfaces

by default in all brands its on auto... look onthe interface that it sincronized with the correct speed  at 1000

You are doing this test when noone is using the network?

I tell you this because HP switches cisco switches etc oversubcribe the speed they can handle... they think that noone will ever use all the ports at maximum speed.

Which core you used to had before HP?

• 3.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Feb 16, 2013 10:09 AM

Yes I would always hard code your uplinks (1000FDX) to the controller.  we saw the same issue with our HP 5412 switch and the aruba controller.  The HP side would negotiate to 1000HDX and the aruba to 1000FDX obviously this causes some major issues :)

You should see something in your HP logs as well possibly stating a duplex mis-match

• 4.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Feb 16, 2013 10:13 AM

True thats why i mention it...

I have seem also that issue... in which switch is 1000 and controller is 1000 as welll but for some reason they negociate 100....

You never know... last week i was setting up a server, a new one, and for some reason it was negociating to 10 half duplex hahahhahahaha that was funny....

• 5.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Feb 17, 2013 02:05 PM

Thank you for replying, no errors on the interfaces.  Testing during normal times of day.  We had Cisco core prior.  Will double check interface speed settings as well.  Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Mar 21, 2013 07:34 PM

Hey CFritz,

I am experiencing the same issue and was wondering if you ever found a resolution?  Thanks!

• 7.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Jul 11, 2013 10:26 PM

I know this is a late reply, but we never found a conclusive resolution.  We ended up changing some other core switches and the numbers then seemed to begin to even out.

• 8.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Jul 12, 2013 12:43 PM

For us it turned out to be an old configuration copied from when we used Cisco Wi-Fi running on the controller that did not impact layer 2 switches. Once layer 3 switches were introduced the configuration hampered the communications between the controller and AP's tied to the Layer 3 switches. Deleting the old configuration cleared up the issue.

• 9.  RE: Strange issue of upload faster than download speed

Posted Mar 13, 2019 05:52 AM

Hi All, 

Currently using 6.4.4.12 on W-3200 with AP93. Noticed that when running speedtest, connecting to the same SSID, both equipment shows different results. What more interesting is that the laptop's (ac wifi model) download speed is very low. 

Internet connection: 100Mbps / 50Mbps (download/upload)

Laptop: 7Mbps Download / 50Mbps Upload

Phone: 100Mbps Download / 50Mbps Upload

Wonder anyone could direct me to which area I should be looking at?