Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Strange problem with Aruba IAP 105s..

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Strange problem with Aruba IAP 105s..

Posted Jan 08, 2013 12:54 PM

I am having a strange issue with our recently installed Aruba instant network.  It seems like our DNS is not always being passed through from our DHCP server to clients on the wireless network.  Clients are able to connect to the APs, and they can usually get to the gateway, but authentication to any of our servers is a crapshoot; some work, some don't, and there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason as to why.  We've recently had some other problems on our network, so I'm not ruling out a setting amiss on our DNS or DHCP servers, but I'd like some other ideas as well.  Optimal settings would be helpful; we're running a flat network topology, so it shouldn't be an issue with routing.  We've tried running open encryption on our network to make sure that wasn't the issue; it's made no difference.  Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Strange problem with Aruba IAP 105s..

Posted Jan 08, 2013 09:00 PM

What do you mean when you say its crapshoot;?

When you say it does not get the DNS when you do a ipconfig /all you cannot see the DNS? or you can see it but its not working?

I would check the DNS i would try using maybe a public one just for testing...

The captive portal willl not work if the computer cannot resolve names... so check that.  The easiest way to test it, it justby changing it or doing ping to pages you have not even opened  which you know they arent in the cache of the machine... but well i would do this

Connect

Ping the gateway

ping something in internet like 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8

If that work well you got internet

After that iwould ping someting likeping www.cnn.com

or some other webpage... if it cannot resolve the name to a ip addresss then thats the problem.

Try pinging many different names.

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Strange problem with Aruba IAP 105s..

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2013 09:05 PM

@Proton_Storm wrote:

I am having a strange issue with our recently installed Aruba instant network.  It seems like our DNS is not always being passed through from our DHCP server to clients on the wireless network.  Clients are able to connect to the APs, and they can usually get to the gateway, but authentication to any of our servers is a crapshoot; some work, some don't, and there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason as to why.  We've recently had some other problems on our network, so I'm not ruling out a setting amiss on our DNS or DHCP servers, but I'd like some other ideas as well.  Optimal settings would be helpful; we're running a flat network topology, so it shouldn't be an issue with routing.  We've tried running open encryption on our network to make sure that wasn't the issue; it's made no difference.  Any ideas?

I would check to make sure that you don't have two DHCP servers in your network.

• 4.  RE: Strange problem with Aruba IAP 105s..
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 15, 2013 12:06 PM

So, it turns out that rebooting the AP I was working with solved the issue.  I'm still not sure what caused the problem, but it appears to be working now.  Thanks for the replies folks. :)

• 5.  RE: Strange problem with Aruba IAP 105s..

Posted Jan 15, 2013 12:09 PM

Good to hear its working :)