Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Strategy for associating AP names with devices on an existing network.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Strategy for associating AP names with devices on an existing network.

Posted Aug 01, 2012 12:01 AM

Hello, all, I've just started at a company in China and I'm trying to help fix our horrendous wireless. The trouble is the exisitng IT department has no idea which APs are named what. No they're not labeled. Is there any way for me to use ArubaOS 6.x on an Aruba 3400 with Aruba 93 APs to determine each AP's name. 

For instance, in the webgui am I able to select "ap1" and send a signal that will turn all the LEDs red or something just for identifying?

Thanks!

Daniel

• 2.  RE: Strategy for associating AP names with devices on an existing network.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2012 12:18 AM
    (host) #ap-leds ap-name AP125 blink
    (host) #ap-leds ap-name AP125 normal

If you have a smartphone app like wifianalyzer, it will tell you the bssid, but not the AP-name that you are seeing the signal strength of.  To show the AP that you are standing under do this:

(host) #    show ap bss-table | include 00:1a:1e:20:82:e2
    00:1a:1e:20:82:e2  Guest     1/3  192.168.1.251  g-HT  ap    11/20.5/20.5      0       AP125              0        1d:4h:17m:11s  1500  -          65   T

The AP name connected to that bssid is "AP125".  You can just put the last 4 digits of the mac address with a colon between them (case sensitive) and it will give you the same output.

• 3.  RE: Strategy for associating AP names with devices on an existing network.

Posted Aug 01, 2012 01:56 AM

Thanks a lot, tedious work, but at least its a start in unravelling the mystery that is this place's WLAN. 

• 4.  RE: Strategy for associating AP names with devices on an existing network.

Posted Aug 06, 2012 02:59 PM

Make sure to make serveral back-up copies when you figure it out.