Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

Posted Aug 14, 2012 11:46 AM

Hardware - 3600 Controller, AP-105

Software - ArubaOS 5.0.4.7

Situation - I have a department on campus that uses an Internet radio that connects to Sirius that is having problems staying connected to the service.  This radio is purely Wifi, and cannot be connected with a wire.  I have it associated to my open network using MAC authentication, as it doesn't support WPA2 Enterprise and cannot utilize my captive portal.  All goes well.  It shows as MAC authenticated.  However, despite there being an AP in the room nearly directly above it, and a Wifi analyzer showing the signal strength being between -30 and -40, it insists on associating to an AP that is on a lower floor and further away with a signal fluctuating between -70 and -80.  It will start off associated to the AP in the room, and then end up on the other one.  I currently have fair-access, spectrum load balancing, and station handoff assist enabled for the network, thought that these may have some bearing on the matter, and one by one disabled them with no effect.

Anyone with any ideas as to what's happening?  Is there a setting I'm not aware of somewhere that I can force the client to a specific AP just to ensure it doesn't go anywhere?  I wasted about two hours this morning troubleshooting this, and am now looking for help :-)

• 2.  RE: Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

Posted Aug 14, 2012 01:39 PM

Do you have "Local Probe Request Threshold (dB)" configured (SSID profile/advanced) ?

If not, I would recommend enabling(set for say a value of 25) and that should help this condition and make up for the wierd behaviour of the Sirius device.

• 3.  RE: Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

Posted Aug 21, 2012 04:13 PM

Seem to be still stuck in the same predicament, though I've left that setting in place as it makes a lot of sense.  Other suggestions anyone?

• 4.  RE: Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

Posted Aug 21, 2012 04:57 PM
    Can you post the make and model of the wireless NIC and also make sure it has the latest drivers?
    Thanks,

• 5.  RE: Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

Posted Aug 22, 2012 09:47 AM

This is a standalone piece of equipment, not a PC.  No drivers or NIC model available.

• 6.  RE: Stubborn Client Refuses to Associate to Best AP

Posted Aug 22, 2012 11:47 AM
    We can implement the roaming best practices on the controller, but eventually it is the clients decision to roam and some devices do not roam well.

Local probe threshold is one of the best practices, Kindly open a support case and we should be able to look at the client behavior and recommend additional changes.

Thanks,