Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Surface Pro, Pro 2, RT 2 not functioning with large flat subnet and MPDU aggregation disabled

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Surface Pro, Pro 2, RT 2 not functioning with large flat subnet and MPDU aggregation disabled

Posted Mar 11, 2014 09:45 AM

Hello,

I am fishing to see if anyone has had this issue and resolved it...

I have at the moment 40 users (and I bought a surface pro f2 or testing this) with problems using surface pro, surface pro 2, and surface 2 on WiFi.

The devices complete 802.11 auth and assoc,  complete 802.1x auth, always start the dhcp process (messages are seen on the dhcp server and replies sent), sometimes complete the dhcp process (get an ip).

They then stop transmiting on wireless.

Through testing I have uncovered a few details that can make the devices work (but I cannot enact those changes as they cause other issues)

With MPDU Aggregation DISABLED on our wireless subnet  ( /16 ) ; the surface pro completes the 802.11 auth and assoc, completes the 802.1X auth, starts the DHCP process and usually gets an IP and then stops working.

With MPDU Aggregation ENABLED on our wireless subnet  ( /16 ) ; the surface pro  works fine.  ---- I cannot enable MPDU aggregation as almost all our linux users will no longer be able to use our 802.1X eduroam network if I do. (and there are a lot more linux users than surface users)

With MPDU Aggregation DISABLED on a test wireless subnet  ( /27 ) ; the surface pro works fine.  ---- We made the change to large flat subnet from vlan pools and do not want to go back.  (I also don't know at what size of subnet the surface pro will stop working at)

I called microsoft customer support for my surface, I was told to just try updating every 2 weeks to see if it works, if it doesn't I roll back to a good working driver. (14.69.17064.93)

This doesn't help the surface RT 2 which suffers the same issue.

I have opened an Aruba support ticket, but it hasn't gotten results thus far (they also have not said it's a MS problem yet either)

I have not contacted MS premier support yet.

We are running 6.3.1.2 on 7240's.

Access points are a mix of 105's, 93h's, 125's, 124's, and a few 61's, 65's, 70's that have yet to be repalced.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and resolved it.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2.  RE: Surface Pro, Pro 2, RT 2 not functioning with large flat subnet and MPDU aggregation disabled

Posted Mar 20, 2014 06:54 PM

I don't know if I have exactly that problem, but I know that I can't connect my Surface 2 to the network at work, and I know that the APs have MAC addresses that appear to be manufactured by Aruba Networks.

I've discovered that if I downgrade my Surface 2 WiFi driver to the 18 month old version that ships with Surface RT, the Surface 2 can connect. Surface 2 support told me to have IT reboot my building, and to contact Aruba Networks for a firmware update. We may be in this weird situation where Aruba says "Surface doesn't work with our networks--this is clearly a Surface driver problem", and Microsoft says "Aruba wireless networks won't allow Surface to connect--this is clearly an Aruba firmware problem", and we poor end users get cut by the sharp edge of niche interop cases. :(

• 3.  RE: Surface Pro, Pro 2, RT 2 not functioning with large flat subnet and MPDU aggregation disabled

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2014 07:54 PM

sblom,

You probably need to contact your IT administrators so that they can work with you on the problem.  You lack key information that is needed to make a determination.  Your IT group has that information and is best positioned to understand your issue and possibly fix it.