Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Swapping AP after rename

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Swapping AP after rename

Posted Jul 06, 2015 10:28 AM

I am replacing over 500 APs and I'd like to confirm if this proccess will work.

Bring up standalone controller with a default config on its own subnet

Plug in 48 APs to switch on same subnet

Run ap-rename script to rename all APs to existing AP names

"ap-rename MAC:ADDRESS1 newAPnameA"

"ap-rename MAC:ADDRESS2 newAPnameB"

"ap-rename MAC:ADDRESS3 newAPnameC"

Swap existing APs with new APs

Will the APs come up, get their AP Group from the controller, and start broadcasting if they have the same ap-name as a previous AP?

Any input would help!

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Swapping AP after rename

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 10:35 AM

If you name an AP with the name of a previous AP that still exists in the AP database, it will not come up, because that controller still has a record of an AP that had the previous name.  It will be stuck with an "N" flag.  You would have to rename the previous AP to something different, and then bring up a new AP with the name you want.  

If the previous AP is not connected to the controller anymore, you can clear the record you can use the "clear gap-db" command to remove the name from the "show ap database" output and then you can bring up a new AP with the previous name, if you would like.

• 3.  RE: Swapping AP after rename

Posted Jul 06, 2015 10:44 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

If you name an AP with the name of a previous AP that still exists in the AP database, it will not come up, because that controller still has a record of an AP that had the previous name.  It will be stuck with an "N" flag.  You would have to rename the previous AP to something different, and then bring up a new AP with the name you want.  

If the previous AP is not connected to the controller anymore, you can clear the record you can use the "clear gap-db" command to remove the name from the "show ap database" output and then you can bring up a new AP with the previous name, if you would like.

Thanks!

So I guess it isn't going to work.  If I append all the current APs with "*" (AP-hallway*) and name the new APs the original name (AP-hallway), it doesn't sound like they will get the group they should be in from the controller.  Will they just stay in default group?  Do I have to include the ap-group command for each AP in my script?

• 4.  RE: Swapping AP after rename
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2015 10:49 AM

If you bring up a new ap, it will take the default AP group.  The group name is not preserved, when you wipe out the name.

Renaming and Regrouping need to be two different steps.

If you removed 10 access points, you could use the clear gap-db command to clear the information from those aps from the controller.  You would bring up the 10 new access points and run the ap-rename command.  After that you can run the ap-regroup command and that is all it would take.

I would try it with a single access point in your lab or as a test to understand the workflow and how long it takes.  Running the ap-group or ap-rename command requires a reboot.