Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Switching from active/standby to active/active

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Switching from active/standby to active/active

Posted Jul 10, 2012 10:13 AM

I have a customer with multiple sites, each site has a pair of controllers running in active/standby mode. They want to change over to active/active mode to enable load balancing. I have no experience with this... could someone outline the steps involved to migrate over? Aren't we going to have to re-provision all the APs?

The only redundancy best practices guide I could find is 7 years old, and the ArubaOS-UG doesn't go very in-depth about the different redundancy models.

Any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

• 2.  RE: Switching from active/standby to active/active

Posted Jul 10, 2012 10:22 AM

Are the existing controllers master:local at each site  or  local:local ?

To accomplish a split of the site you will need to have two AP-groups in play

AP-group-1  .    LMS-IP = Site Controller 1,   BKUP-LMS-IP = Site Controller 2

AP-group-2 .    LMS-IP = Site Controller 2,   BKUP-LMS-IP = Site Controller 1

Then you need to reprovision APs, half into AP-group-1 and half into AP-group-2.

JF

PS - This adds comlexity in troubleshooting and roaming if the boundaries between the APs on the different controllers are commonly/frequently crossed by clients.  Just keep that in mind.    

• 3.  RE: Switching from active/standby to active/active

Posted Jul 10, 2012 02:28 PM

thanks for the reply -

Really each site is simply two redundant masters. There are no local controllers involved.

The old redundancy best practices guide shows the use of AP locations (which are not currently provisioned in the APs) and setting a different LMS-IP for each... for instance:

ap location 1.1.0

lms-ip10.200.168.254

ap location 1.2.0

lms-ip10.200.169.254

I guess this is a way of getting around having two AP groups.

What's confusing me more though is having two different VRRP instances... a seperate VLAN for each. I suppose it's ok if all the APs are in a totally seperate VLAN as well... the controller handles the inter-vlan stuff?

jfernyc wrote:

Are the existing controllers master:local at each site  or  local:local ?

To accomplish a split of the site you will need to have two AP-groups in play

AP-group-1  .    LMS-IP = Site Controller 1,   BKUP-LMS-IP = Site Controller 2

AP-group-2 .    LMS-IP = Site Controller 2,   BKUP-LMS-IP = Site Controller 1

Then you need to reprovision APs, half into AP-group-1 and half into AP-group-2.

JF

PS - This adds comlexity in troubleshooting and roaming if the boundaries between the APs on the different controllers are commonly/frequently crossed by clients.  Just keep that in mind.    

• 4.  RE: Switching from active/standby to active/active

Posted Jul 11, 2012 09:32 AM

FWIW, the TAC's recommendation was also to go with two AP groups with swapped LMSIPs... and going master:local.