Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Syslog: "SNMP Authentication Failed for Management station"?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Syslog: "SNMP Authentication Failed for Management station"?

Posted Aug 19, 2012 08:12 PM

I've just set up an IAP-93 (running 6.1.3.1-3.0.0.2_34479).

I enabled syslog, and everything seems reasonable, except I've started getting these mesages:

snmp[993]: <301246> <NOTI> <192.168.1.146 0.0.0.0>  201 SNMP Authentication Failed for Management station 192.168.1.115

I can't find any description of that message. The ArubaOS_6.1Syslog.pdf manual says:

Error ID:  301246

[line:%d] SNMP Authentication Failed for Management station [t_ipAddr:%s] [reason:%s]

Description: To be filled out 

Any idea what this means? (The .115 station is just a random Windows netbook associated to the AP, not running any SNMP software.)

#AP115

• 2.  RE: Syslog: "SNMP Authentication Failed for Management station"?

Posted Aug 19, 2012 08:34 PM

It is possible that the netbook is doing "SNMP" for discovery of services... my Brother Printer driver, once installed on my Win7 laptop, exhibits this behaviour, speaking UDP 161 (better known as SNMP...) to any network I am attached to.  Fun...thanks Brother!

Easy enough to disable, but one had to know it was there in the first place.   You could block this protocol (UDP 161) from the end-user side of the network (as its not needed in a typical deployment) and see if things clear up.

• 3.  RE: Syslog: "SNMP Authentication Failed for Management station"?

Posted Aug 19, 2012 08:35 PM

Huh -- good point! Thanks for the tip! (This has a Brother driver installed, too.)