Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

[Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 21, 2014 12:48 AM

In this technote ill teach you about the basics of roaming and what aruba came out to help with the roaming issue.

Lets Start

What is roaming?

Its moving your wireless devices between APs in the same building, and the roaming is from one AP BSS to another using the same SSID

wifi_roaming_bug_diagram.jpg

How does roaming work?

The decision to roam is done by the Wireless card of  the device(for example Iphone, Tablet, Laptop), which means that this rules for roaming comes out of the wireless card manufacture and its usually determined by the strength  of the signal, or noise level

So basically if your wireless card is bad doing roaming then you will suffer of sticky client problem

What is sticky client?

wlan_sticky-client.png

It’s a client associate with an access point, yet don’t roam to a more appropriate access point, even if you got a better signal from an AP which is closer

For example if you are connected to an AP X and you start moving near an access point Z, even if you got better signal from Acess point Z the client will remain connected to AP X because of the roaming decision of the wlan card of your device.

802.11k Assisted Roaming

It let 802.11k capable clients to request for neighbor report containing information about neighboring aps that are candidates for roaming

Like it well said it request information to enable the client to find a candidate ap for roaming but here still the decision of the roaming is still on the client.

Example of roaming Without 802.11k

Roaming_No_80211k.PNG

Example of roaming With 802.11k

Roaming_with_80211k.PNG

802.11r Fast Roaming

This let the client to do the initial handshake for roaming even before the client roam to target AP.  This is really important because it enables the client to do a fast BSS transition, without needing to re authenticate at every AP

802.11r Fast Roaming  and ArubaNetworks

802.11r with ArubaInstant

With the 802.11r what it does is that the client pre authenticate with multiplle APS in the cluster even before roaming.

As part of the 802.11r also the instant support Fast BSS transition protocol which reduce the time of romaing delay between APs

Now you need to enable it in order it to work and you need to be sure that your clients support 802.11r, if your clients or some of them does not support it please do not enable it.

To enable it its really simple

romaing_Instant.JPG

Example of roaming without 802.11r

without80211r.jpg

Romaing With 802.11r

with80211r.JPG

ArubaNetworks and Roaming with sticky clients.

ClientMatch
    Arubanetworks have addressed this issue and solve it with Aruba Client Match by matching the client with the best AP.

clientmatch.jpg

How does this work?

Its an aruba technology that continusly gather information from devices and using that information it matches the device to the best AP and best radio.

It integrates 3 features

1. Band Steering
    2. Spectrum load balancing
    3. Hand of assit and band balancing

This is how it works "taken from Aruba KB"

• Aruba AP generates client probe reports
    • AP's will update the client probe reports to the controller every 30s
    • Controller aggregates the probe reports into virtual beacon report.
    • Controller sends a subset of VBR for associated clients to relevant AP’s.
    • AP monitors client SNR and runs sticky client & band-steer check periodically.
    • Controller also runs dynamic load balancing algorithm algorithm periodically.

In summery the decsition to roam is not on the client anymore, the controller will take the decistion if it should roam to a better AP or not.  

Another important note is that if you got Band steering on, or spectrum load balancing, and you got client match enable, the clientmatch will take precedence over each independend feature.

Finally if we got 802.11k why do we need Clientmatch?

Lets make a few points:

1. Like i said before the decition to roam still is on the client, 802.11k wont guarantee that the client will roam, even if it should.
    2. ClientMatch force for a roam if, 802.11k does not.
    3. Clientmatch has the information of the whole infraestructure!

Additional note:

How do i help clientmatch to work better? 

To make this work better you need to set the Transmit power from 12 min to 18max,  try not using to maximum output power for example a ap 105 and using all the 23 dBm

I have seen many times Aruba Gurus in the forum pointing this.   So if you want to help the clientmatch to work better or you see problems with this, then please try setting the correct transmit power.  

Not part of this technote but not more ap power is necesary the asnwer :)  Wifi is a 2 way communication and  if you got an AP that is transmitting at a high transmit power but you got a device that cannot reply him with the same power, then you migh encounter lost frames and frames retries.

What should i do if i do not have Clientmatch yet?

As the roaming totally depends on the wireless card manufacter you can try:

1-Upgrading the driver of the WLAN card.

2-Configuring local-probe request,  here i quote one of Colin Explanations which was really good, that i copy it to my notes and now i copy and paste you all

"Use the "Local Probe Request Threshold" parameter under the Advanced Tab in the SSID Profile - Many times, in high density environments, clients will stay associated to access points that are very far away from them, because the driver in the client WLAN card believes that the signal is still good.  The biggest issue this creates is that a client that is far from an access point normally associates at a lower rate and transmits more slowly, because of the distance.  This will also degrade the throughput of clients that are closer and associated to the same AP, because they have to wait longer for that client to transmit.  If you change the "Local Probe Request Threshold" to something like 20 or 25 (dB), access points will only accept associations clients that are of a certain signal strength, limiting clients to only choose access points that are better for them"

This feature works better if you hide SSID.

Now remenber that even with the local probe request the last word if the client roams or not has it the device.   The local probe request will encorage them to take the right decistion :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 22, 2014 10:06 AM

Hello Guys!

I added more explanation of 802.11r, i think it was missing more of it so i added it :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 22, 2014 10:16 AM

You may want to note that 11r is only for networks with ONLY clients that support it, since many clients that do not, will not connect at all if you enable it.  Also be clear that ClientMatch supports networks with or without 11k and 11r turned on.

• 4.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 22, 2014 10:26 AM

Yep

I did mention that you needed clients that supported it, its even on underline, but i can type that specifically that if you dont have client that suppport it to dont use it :)

About the clientmatch commend

Where did i say it didnt????

My last commend was about of why did Aruba build client match if we had 802.11k already... i dont know if it ws a misunderstanding??

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 22, 2014 10:32 AM
    I do think people need to be explicitly told that about 11r. As far as ClientMatch "vs" 11k, it is the way the document is structured, since it talks about 11k and 11r first, people may wrongly glean that ClientMatch is just an enhancement on top of 11k, rather than a technology suite that works on legacy networks as well.

• 6.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 04:25 AM

Does this come from experience? Can you elaborate which devices you've seen that have problems connecting with 802.11r active?

Aruba material mention explicitly that it should not give issues on non-supported clients:  

"Fast BSS Transition is operational only if the wireless client supports 802.11r standard. If the client does not support 802.11r standard, it falls back to the normal WPA2 authentication method."

EDIT:  mm, other Aruba materials are a bit more complete apparently:

"If dot11r is enabled, iOS clients such as iPad/iPhone gen1 (limitation on iOS) and all MAC-OS clients (limitation on MAC) fail to connect to the network."

• 7.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:09 AM

Yeah, it's not an Aruba-specific thing either, those clients are just plain not compatible with 11r being active across vendors.

• 8.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 09:14 AM

understood, but comeon.. no MAC-OS support at all for 802.11r? Pretty useless feature then no? Who can choose to simply not support MACs these days? Or does MAC-OS mean pre-OSX?

edited to clarify this was about 802.11r, not something else.

• 9.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 11:16 AM

Koenv,

Clientmatch does support Mac OSX.  Where does it say that it does not?

• 10.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

MVP
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 12:15 PM

that bit was about 802.11r, not client-match.

It came from http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/VirtualAPs/Configuring_Fast_BSS_Tra.htm under 'important points to remember'.

Clarified my relevant post to negate any confusion.

• 11.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2014 12:21 PM

koenv,

Thank you.

• 12.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 25, 2014 11:50 PM

Answering the question of Koen which i guess has been asnwered already

I learn this from past experience, a client enabled this feature and some old laptops were not able to connect.  At the beggining i couldnt figure out what was going on, then i asked if he did any change and then he told me he enable 802.11r, so i told him to disable it, and  there we go!

I also remenber reading about that on some cisco article a while ago( i do read guides, and articles from many wireless vendors :)  you can learn good things from them sometimes)

I just did a fast google search to find that article, here is it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_0111.html#d155467e2632a1635

Koen here is a extract of the article which is the part that we want to read.

"Legacy clients cannot associate with a WLAN that has 802.11r enabled if the driver of the supplicant that is responsible for parsing the Robust Security Network Information Exchange (RSN IE) is old and not aware of the additional AKM suites in the IE. Due to this limitation, clients cannot send association requests to WLANs. These clients, however, can still associate with non-802.11r WLANs. Clients that are 802.11r capable can associate as 802.11i clients on WLANs that have both 802.11i and 802.11r Authentication Key Management Suites enabled. The workaround is to enable or upgrade the driver of the legacy clients to work with the new 802.11r AKMs, after which the legacy clients can successfully associate with 802.11r enabled WLANs. Another workaround is to have two SSIDs with the same name but with different security settings (FT and non-FT). "

Hope this clear your doubts.

Cheers

Carlos

• 13.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

MVP
    Posted Jul 26, 2014 07:41 AM

All fun about setting up a second ssid but who is seriously going to do that.

While .r seems to be some very nice roaming addendum as long as Apple Mac doesn't work with it.. it realy is rather worthless as who is sure they have not and will not have a Mac on their network?

Oh, and please do correct me if I'm wrong here somehow.

• 14.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 27, 2014 12:22 AM

Koen

Everything is possible in this world...

I have seen people configuring 16 SSIDs and i though who is seriusly going to do that??? until i saw it....

Anyways the important thing of the article was why it doesnt work, not the work around :) 

Cheers

Carlos

• 15.  RE: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

Posted Jul 29, 2014 11:17 PM

Updated the technote and added

How do i help clientmatch to work better and What should i do if i do not have Clientmatch yet?

Cheers

Carlos