Wireless Access

Guru Elite

Re: [Technote]Wireless Roaming & Clientmatch - July-MHC

koenv,

Thank you.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

Answering the question of Koen which i guess has been asnwered already

I learn this from past experience, a client enabled this feature and some old laptops were not able to connect.  At the beggining i couldnt figure out what was going on, then i asked if he did any change and then he told me he enable 802.11r, so i told him to disable it, and  there we go!

I also remenber reading about that on some cisco article a while ago( i do read guides, and articles from many wireless vendors :)  you can learn good things from them sometimes)

I just did a fast google search to find that article, here is it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_0111.html#d155467e2632a1635

Koen here is a extract of the article which is the part that we want to read.

"Legacy clients cannot associate with a WLAN that has 802.11r enabled if the driver of the supplicant that is responsible for parsing the Robust Security Network Information Exchange (RSN IE) is old and not aware of the additional AKM suites in the IE. Due to this limitation, clients cannot send association requests to WLANs. These clients, however, can still associate with non-802.11r WLANs. Clients that are 802.11r capable can associate as 802.11i clients on WLANs that have both 802.11i and 802.11r Authentication Key Management Suites enabled. The workaround is to enable or upgrade the driver of the legacy clients to work with the new 802.11r AKMs, after which the legacy clients can successfully associate with 802.11r enabled WLANs. Another workaround is to have two SSIDs with the same name but with different security settings (FT and non-FT). "

Hope this clear your doubts.

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
MVP Expert

All fun about setting up a second ssid but who is seriously going to do that.

While .r seems to be some very nice roaming addendum as long as Apple Mac doesn't work with it.. it realy is rather worthless as who is sure they have not and will not have a Mac on their network?

Oh, and please do correct me if I'm wrong here somehow.

Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.

Koen

Everything is possible in this world...

I have seen people configuring 16 SSIDs and i though who is seriusly going to do that??? until i saw it....

Anyways the important thing of the article was why it doesnt work, not the work around :) 

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp

Updated the technote and added

How do i help clientmatch to work better and What should i do if i do not have Clientmatch yet?

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: