Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

Posted Sep 13, 2019 08:49 AM

We have an IoT device that only supports 2.4GHz and it is configured through a phone app. The phone is connecting at 5GHz. I think that if both devices are on the same BSSID, the configuration process will work and after that, I think the phone can go back to 5GHz as behind the scenes they are on the same VLAN.

It looks like one should be able to use some form of a command with move-sta to force a device to a particular BSSID. I've tried the "arm move-sta" version of the command to no avail. I'm not sure that is correct with MMs managing the RF. Is there a way to do this in ArubaOS 8.3?

Thanks,

Robert

• 2.  RE: Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2019 09:36 AM

Create an new SSID which is only in the 2.4GHz Spectrum. Had the same with a TP-Link Power plug.

I used the SSID only for provisioning and after that I deleted the SSID.

Also please Check if "Deny Inter User Traffic" is enabled.on the VAP. That blocks Client to Client communication on a VAP.

• 3.  RE: Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

Posted Sep 17, 2019 10:18 AM

I did that just to see how the thing worked. But, I didn't use the production SSID name.  I'm concerned disabling 5 GHz on the production SSID would cause issues.

I'll try duplicating the production SSID on my phone and see if it will connect to that and then let it connect to the production SSID.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

Posted Sep 17, 2019 01:56 PM

How does the IOT device communicate with the Mobile?

Does it use broadcast or multicast? If so also check if the drop bc/mc option is disabled both in the VAP level and the SSID level.

If the option is enabled in any one of the profiles it will hinder communication between the devices.

• 5.  RE: Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

Posted Sep 17, 2019 04:26 PM

I'm not sure if it uses broadcasts or multicast. Maybe I should ask the people in Singapore it is phoning home to. :-)

We got it to work by creating a hotspot on a phone with the same SSID name on 2.4 GHz as our production network and configured it through another phone connected to the same hotspot. Once that was done, the hotspot was turned off and the IoT device was rebooted and it connected to the production network, a DMZ, and the phone with the management app was able to manage it. 

• 6.  RE: Temporarily move a client to a 2.4GHz BSSID with ArubaOS 8.3

Posted Sep 18, 2019 11:35 AM

Thats a clever fix. Let me know if they get back on usage of broadcast/multicast.

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.
    --Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.