Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Timestamp 1999-12-31

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Timestamp 1999-12-31

Posted Apr 23, 2014 09:58 AM

Hello community,

we have a RAP installation with around 100 RAPs in the field. Some users are experiencing downtime from time to time.

The RAPs come up properly again but there is really nothing I can figure out why they are rebooting.

So far the only similarity they show is a Rebootstrap information with a time stamp from 1999-12-31.

This is the first information I get when I use the follwing command in the cli:

show ap debug system-status ap-name <ap-name>

Properly working RAPs show the correct time in this field.

Has this maybe anything got to do with the settings in the DSL modem?

BR

rolfo333

• 2.  RE: Timestamp 1999-12-31

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:17 AM

rolfo333,

That indicates that a device has lost connection with the controller at one time or another.  The RAPs do not have batteries, so they set their time from the controller after they have made a successful connection to it..  Before that, all of the logs will be dated in 1999.  

• 3.  RE: Timestamp 1999-12-31

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:28 AM

Hello,

clear to me that it has lost the connection.

But when you write all the logs, it is only the first point of the log showing this time.

All other entries in the log are correct like "Recent Control Messages from AP to Controller" show current times for instance.

That is what is wondering me.

Even if the connection is restored, the first entry remains in 1999.

Other RAPs show a current date in this first entry as well.

• 4.  RE: Timestamp 1999-12-31

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:33 AM

To be clear, if it boots up and does not initally get a connection, that is why the initial logs would have 1999.  Once it connects it would get the correct time and the logs would reflect that going forward.  If it disconnects and does not reboot, it would retain the correct time unless it does reboot typically.  I would say on the face of it, you do not have anything to worry about, unless you have a connection issue.

• 5.  RE: Timestamp 1999-12-31

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:48 AM

My problem is that only the first entry of the log stays 1999, even if the RAP is connected again.

I have just assumed that this might be a hint why these RAPs are rebooting because only these RAPs make problems.

Other RAPs which connect and stay online show a correct time in the first entry.

• 6.  RE: Timestamp 1999-12-31
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:50 AM

You need more than the logs having a 1999 timestamp to determine if you have an issue.  I would open a support case so that they can look at ALL of your logs.

• 7.  RE: Timestamp 1999-12-31

Posted Apr 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Thanks for your support,