Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 01, 2014 06:17 PM

Hi Guys,

i am not sure about, but what is the maximum Number of Access Points two 7030 controllers can adopt, running with Master Redundancy?.. We are going to install 70 APs in the HQ, but I think there will only be 64 possible APs.

My possible Solution:

Don't implement a Master Redundancy, and just a single Master Controller and Local Controller which are both located at the HQ. The Master would get all the licenses and the Local Controller will use the Centralized Licenses. In that szenario we should be able to adopt 128 APs in the HQ.. I am right?

Regards,

Thomas

• 2.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2014 06:21 PM
    Yes, 64 with redundancy. The master-local topology will get you what you want but keep in mind you can still only server 64 in a fail over event with one controller.

• 3.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 01, 2014 10:03 PM

New feature on 6.4

Extended Standby Controller Capacity
    The standby controller oversubscription feature allows a standby controller to support connections to standby APs beyond the controller's original rated AP capacity. This feature is an enhancement from the high availability
    feature introduced in ArubaOS 6.3, which requires the standby controller to have an AP capacity equal to or greater than the total AP capacity of all the active controllers it supports.
    Starting with ArubaOS 6.4, a 7200 Series controller acting as a standby controller can oversubscribe to standby APs by up to four times that controller's rated AP capacity, and a standby M3 controller module or 3600 controller can oversubscribe by up to two times its rated AP capacity, as long as the tunnels consuming the standby APs do not exceed the maximum tunnel capacity for that standby controller.

• 4.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 01, 2014 11:27 PM

The 70x0 controllers do not support the oversubscription feature.   The 72x0's do.

• 5.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 02, 2014 12:01 AM

Thanks Marcus , forgot that the 7000 are a replacement for the 3200 and 600 controllers and the oversubscription is not supported on those

• 6.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 02, 2014 12:14 AM
    Platform Ratio  
    7210 4:1  
    7220 4:1  
    7240 4:1  
    M3/3600 2:1

To add a little more detail to the thread...............the 72x0, M3, and 3600 support this feature and their oversubscription ratios are listed above.

• 7.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Jun 07, 2016 07:49 AM

Hi

Is this still valid? Is oversubscription not supported on 7xxx controllers?

Br

Peter

• 8.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Jun 12, 2016 01:54 PM

haven't seen any news pointing to something changed. Aruba is pretty fixed with these things, the 70xx series have a number of limitation by design as branch controllers and i don't see this changing.

• 9.  RE: Total Number APs with Master Redundancy

Posted Sep 02, 2014 02:36 AM
    Thank you for your help! :) Regards, Thomas