Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

Posted Aug 16, 2017 11:59 AM

I was running two 7210 controllers with 6.5.3.1 and without pefng. Everything was running fine. I had a few 802.1x/radius authenticated encrypted wlans and also a captive portal protected one.

I thought pefng might give me a few more options for configurations for guest etc. thus acquired pefng licenses and installed them the day before yesterday, totally regretting it since then because the wireless network is a complete disaster.

Authentication was working but no traffic passed except that of the logon role even though users had authenticated role. (found out that that's because my port channel was not trusted which wasn't a problem before).

IPv6 isn't working anymore. It seems android clients loose all internet after approx. 10 minutes even though they are still connected and only can gain access again after the connection has fully expired and disappear from user-table. The captive portal seems to work but now if the user enters correct credentials it captive portal assistent of the client shows a page not found error instead of the success message.

So basically: a total mess. Problems at all ends and I don't see why.

Worst of all: it seems not possible to go back. I deleted the pefng licenses from the controller and restore a old flashbackup but to no avail: Even through the restored configuration contained none of the "standard" pefng policies/roles they still popped up in the configuration after the restore. I am also able to configure user-roles in configuration mode which originally wasn't possible without pefng licenses. I guess the controller now runs in "pefng mode" no matter what...

Why on earth can that be so difficult? It was a simple non-pefng configuration and turned into a mess...

• 2.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 12:03 PM

If you have a backup of the previous configuration, restore it, but do not save before rebooting.  That would be the first step.  After that is restored, we can advise you after that.

• 3.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 12:13 PM

To be clear: the procedure above should restore your controller to what it was previously without the PEFNG licenses you installed.  It is the "write mem" when you do a restore or add a license that creates unpredictable results...

• 4.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

Posted Aug 16, 2017 01:18 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

If you have a backup of the previous configuration, restore it, but do not save before rebooting.  That would be the first step.  After that is restored, we can advise you after that.

It's actually a master-master cluster (active-passive). How would I do that? Disconnect the backup controller from the network first. Restore the master. Reboot.

Or do I need to delete the licenses from the controller first?

• 5.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 01:34 PM

Do you have backups of just a single or both controllers?

The licenses will be overwritten with whatever you had in the restore.

• 6.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

Posted Aug 16, 2017 01:38 PM

I have a backup of both, from the same time, before the last firmware upgrade.

• 7.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2017 01:44 PM

upload the backup to both, restore both, do not save configuration.  Reboot at the same time...

• 8.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

Posted Aug 18, 2017 02:02 AM

After modifying all roles and policies to the defaults as suggested in the attachment of this post most people are happy at the moment, thus I have postponed the restore for the moment.

What would be the "correct" procedure to install pefng licenses on a controller pair which was running in "non-pefng" mode?

• 9.  RE: Total configuration mess after installation of PEFNG licenses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2017 08:02 AM

- Take a backup of the controller

- Install Licenses

- DO NOT save configuration

- Reboot