Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Tri-Session with DNAT vs Controller IP Address on Client VLAN

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Tri-Session with DNAT vs Controller IP Address on Client VLAN

Posted Nov 08, 2016 09:10 AM

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ControllerBasedWLANs/article-id/536

Is one method necessarily better than the other - drawbacks to enabling Tri-Session with DNAT? - or sticking with the IP Address on the Guest Client? I was working on updating our "setup" network by duplicating our guest config (setup ssid, setup vlan, captive-portal page would be to our XpressConnect page) and after digging further occured to me about the IP Address requirement (Note - Controller is not default gateway) - but also discovered the Tri-Session with DNAT functionality.

Eventually we're going to look into the option of one ssid for both guest and setup - but was curious which of the two options I should pursue -> Enabling Tri-Session with DNAT did fix my problem - just wondering which one was best.

• 2.  RE: Tri-Session with DNAT vs Controller IP Address on Client VLAN
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2016 09:22 AM

You typically would use tri-session with DNAT if you have more than one VLAN that you want to do captive portal with.  If you have a single VLAN, an ip address on that controller's VLAN, along with the ip cp-redirect-address command pointing to that ip address is sufficient.