Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Triggering AP-Load Balancing in AOS 8.2 Cluster: Troubleshooting & manual CLI trigger

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Triggering AP-Load Balancing in AOS 8.2 Cluster: Troubleshooting & manual CLI trigger

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:53 PM

In a cluster of controllers (L2-connected, Redundancy on, active-ap-lb is on) I have APs that are not being rebalanced on the controllers.  Before and after a successful live-upgrade (480 APs in less than an hour!), the APs are all on one controller. The code version is 8.2.1.0.

I've tried adjusting the threshholds but it is not triggering.  Disabling and enabling again does nothing, even after a considerable waiting period.  Is there a manual way to trigger the load balancing?  I know I can perform "apmove" but I want to be sure this will automatically rebalance in the future.

• 2.  RE: Triggering AP-Load Balancing in AOS 8.2 Cluster: Troubleshooting & manual CLI trigger

Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:55 PM

...Or is there a way to troubleshoot this or a list of the basic requirements for it to be implemented?  I've read the relevant section in the Aruba OS user-guide, and this should be working as is described.

Regards,

ryh

• 3.  RE: Triggering AP-Load Balancing in AOS 8.2 Cluster: Troubleshooting & manual CLI trigger

Posted Apr 18, 2018 04:25 PM

--

• 4.  RE: Triggering AP-Load Balancing in AOS 8.2 Cluster: Troubleshooting & manual CLI trigger

Posted Apr 18, 2018 04:30 PM
    Do you have AP Load Balancing enabled?
    (BOSTON-MC-1) #show lc-cluster group-membership

Cluster Enabled, Profile Name = "BOSTON-CLUSTER-MC"
    Redundancy Mode On
    Active Client Rebalance Threshold = 50%
    Standby Client Rebalance Threshold = 75%
    Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    AP Load Balancing: Enabled
    Active AP Rebalance Threshold = 50%
    Active AP Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Active AP Rebalance AP Count = 10
    Active AP Rebalance Timer = 5 minutes
    Cluster Info Table

The AP Load Balancing feature is disabled by default.

• 5.  RE: Triggering AP-Load Balancing in AOS 8.2 Cluster: Troubleshooting & manual CLI trigger

Posted Apr 18, 2018 04:39 PM

Yes, it is enabled and I see the same information there in the "show lc-cluster group-membership" command, when issued on both controllers in the cluster.  I've even tried setting the threshold to an abnormally low value of 15% to really force it, to no success.

I'm miffed.

I have another cluster that I'm trying this on as well, but since it is in the beginning stages of deployment I am hovering around 1-2% of platform capacity and did not expect it to work there at this time.