Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted Dec 09, 2011 06:58 AM

I'm trying to create open guest network (transformed to captive portal later) where traffic is source natted trough controllers wan vlan interface. I have enabled "ip nat source" for the guest vlan and I'm using default guest role as initial role. Traffic seems to go trough but clients gets no data back. 

From session table:

Source IP Destination IP Prot SPort DPort Cntr Prio ToS Age Destination TAge Flags
    -------------- -------------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ---- --- --- ----------- ---- -----
    172.17.0.251 8.8.8.8 17 51496 53 0/0 0 96 0 tunnel 15 13 FSCI
    172.17.0.251 8.8.4.4 17 29844 53 0/0 0 96 0 tunnel 15 e FSCI

Do I need something extra? Internet connection is trough static IP assigned to another vlan. I have applied firewall rule set for this vlan, restrictin incoming ports to NATT and management, does it affect? (And interface is marked as a untrusted)

Controller is A620 with 6.1.2.5 OS and AP-105 as a RAP. 

• 2.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 07:25 AM

You need to make sure that the default gateway for the controller is the upstream WAN router.  And then you then need to create static routes for internal networks and point them to an internal router.  IP nat inside or source nat will follow the internal routing table of the controller;  you need to change it to make sure that external traffic routes out that WAN interface of the controller for it to work.

• 3.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted Dec 09, 2011 08:35 AM

I got only default route which points to WAN router. I can remotely access controller, RAP can remote connect and ping tests from controller works. 

For some reason these sites I try to access appear on Clients? AP name is the port WAN is connected and the got logon role assigned?

• 4.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 08:39 AM

Do you have an ACL on the WAN port, or is it untrusted?

• 5.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted Dec 09, 2011 08:45 AM

Port is marked as a untrusted and WAN VLAN Firewall Policy is applied. No Firewall Policy for the port though. 

• 6.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 08:56 AM

It should be marked as trusted, but you should apply an ACL that only allows nat-t inbounds for RAPs:

According to the Article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Connect-your-Aruba-Controller-to-a-Cable-Modem/m-p/951/highlight/true#M64

The only difference, is that you want to allow NATT inbounds and DHCP (if you are gettiun

This is what you should have:

ip access-list session WAN
    any any svc-natt permit
    any any any deny

exit
    interface gigabitethernet 1/0
    ip access-group WAN session

Any traffic will be allowed outbounds, but only nat-t or udp 4500 will be allowed inbounds for your RAPS.

• 7.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:40 AM

ip access-list session Internet
    network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxany Aruba-MGMT permit
    any any svc-natt permit
    host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx any svc-ssh permit
    !

interface fastethernet 1/6
    description "FE1/6"
    trusted
    trusted vlan 1-4094
    ip access-group "Internet" session
    switchport access vlan 1000
    !

Now all bogus clients are gone but still no connectivity. From client I can ping controllers every interface but traffic is not going further. 

I enabled logging on remote firewall and ran some tests. If I ping that firewall, it sees traffic coming from Controllers WAN address, accepted and returned. So the problem is somewhere with returning traffic. 

• 8.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:41 AM

Are you sure you have ip nat inside on the Guest Client's IP interface?

• 9.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:47 AM

interface vlan 80
    ip address 172.17.0.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip routing
    ip nat inside
    operstate up
    !

• 10.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2011 09:50 AM

Remove no ip routing from the interface.

• 11.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted Dec 09, 2011 10:08 AM

Allowing IP routing from guest VLAN interface didn't help, but allowing it from wan VLAN did help. Put no ip routing back to guest VLAN and it still works. 

yay! 

• 12.  RE: Trouble with routing traffic trough controller straight to Internet

Posted May 09, 2012 05:30 AM

Obi - Do you now have this working with the Captive portal too?  I need to do a similar configuration.  Thanks.