Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 06:41 AM

Im trying to add a new Campus AP (IAP 205 converted to Campus AP) to an AP Group.

I'm in the web interface at Configuration/Wireless/App Installation/Whitelist/Campus AP/Entries.

However, unlike the manual at http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Control_Plane/Whitelists_on_Campus_and_Remote_APs.htm says, there is no way to define the AP Group.

At the Remote AP tab, there IS a way to set AP Group. But at Campus AP tab, there is not. I've tried clearing browser cache. Didn't help.

So, how can I set the AP Group for a Campus AP?

Aruba 650 on 6.3.1.19.

• 2.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 06:44 AM

Hi, 

Could you share a screen shot of what you see? 

You can also check "#show ap database" from CLI.  

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

• 3.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 06:47 AM
      |   view attached

in the CLI the AP Group for the existing Campus AP is shown. The new Campus AP is not shown at all.

• 4.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 07:08 AM

• 5.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 07:58 AM

Same issue. At step 6, the guide says to enter the AP Group, but it's not giving me that option.

At the remote AP tab, it is giving me that option. But I want to add a Campus AP, not a Remote AP. The CLI command also seems to suggest an AP Group can't be set for a Campus AP?

To add an AP to the Campus AP whitelist via the command-line interface, issue the command
    whitelist-db cpsec add mac-address <macaddr> description <description>
    To add an AP to the Remote AP whitelist via the command-line interface, issue the command
    whitelist-db rap add mac-address <macaddr> ap-group <ap-group> [ap-name <ap-name>] [description <description>] [full-name <name>] remote-ip <inner-ip-adr>

Should I add the Campus App as a Remote App instead???

• 6.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:03 AM

6.3 does not allow you to add an ap-group in the Campus AP whitelist.  6.4 does allow you to add an ap group to the Campus AP whitelist.  The RAP whitelist ALWAYS allowed you to add an ap-group to the whitelist.  

You can always reprovision the AP manually by going to Configuration> Wireless> AP Installation.

• 7.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:07 AM

If it requires 6.4, then how did we ever enter our first Campus AP to an AP Group? :) There must be some way to do it pre-6.4.

I'm trying to add a second Campus AP, so can't reprovision it, because it doesn't exist yet.

Can't upgrade to 6.4 either, because of RAP 2WG's in use.

Edit: oh maybe I understand what you mean. I need to add it as a RAP, and then re-provision it to become a Campus AP?

• 8.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:10 AM

Hi, 

In 6.3, campus AP whitelist doesn't require the AP group to be specified, but the RAP does need it. In 6.4, you can specify the ap-group for both campus AP and Remote AP. 

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

• 9.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:12 AM

I can't go to 6.4, because of RAP2's in use.

And it must be possible without 6.4. Because we already have another Campus AP set to an AP Group (and we've never been on 6.4).

Should I try adding it as a RAP and the re-provision it to be come a Campus AP?

• 10.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:21 AM

Any Campus AP would come up on the "default" ap-group first. Then you can re-provision it to a different ap-group. If you already have a campus AP (not converting an IAP), you can set the ap-group from console before it comes up on the controller. This may not be possible for an IAP. 

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

• 11.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 09:04 AM
    Making it a RAP doesn't work either :-(

To clarify: we already have 1 AP-105 up and running as a Campus AP.

We bought a IAP-205 to expand WLAN coverage. I hooked up the IAP-205 to a Aruba 650 PoE port that is on the same VLAN as the Aruba 650 port connected to the AP-105. Every time I try to convert the new IAP-205 (to RAP or Campus AP), it just seems to hang forever untill I pull the power.

What is the proper way to get this IAP-205 working as a Campus AP without hanging forever?

• 12.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 09:30 AM

According to http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/i-am-not-able-to-convert-ARUBA-IAP205-to-campus-AP-giving-error/td-p/221029 the IAP-205 can't be converted on a Aruba 650 controller running 6.3, that's probably the issue then :(

But I can't go to 6.4 either, because then RAP2 won't work anymore, correct?

• 13.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2016 09:31 AM

Correct.

• 14.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Feb 24, 2016 10:05 AM
    Hmmm, I hope we can return and refund the IAP-205's in that case. They're pretty useless now.

• 15.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Mar 05, 2016 05:50 AM

i would look into replacing the RAP2, you are pretty stuck at the moment, 6.3 will be out of support at some point. might be better to look into moving forward.

• 16.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

Posted Mar 07, 2016 02:06 AM
    Except the RAP2's are working just fine and cost about 300 a piece to replace.

6.3 is still in support for 2 years or more I think.

So that doesn't really make sense.

• 17.  RE: Trying to add Campus AP to AP Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2016 06:49 AM

eriknl2,

You are the best person to decide what is best for you.  We are just here to give you information.