Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trying to figure out WMM

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Trying to figure out WMM

Posted Jun 30, 2016 05:33 PM

Hello,

We have a network with VLAN 10 for wired data, vlan 20 for voice, vlan 30 for employee wireless.

We have a mitel voice system which supports softphones.

We currently have an SSID for VLAN 30 which is for people to use their iphones, ipads and laptops.

We could creat a new SSID for VLAN 20 for people to just use voice softphones.

I'm curious if we could use our regular wireless VLAN 30 but set priority for voice traffic.

I skimmed through this article http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/Voice%20and%20Video/WMM%20Traffic.htm and https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/How-to-configure-WMM-DSCP-mapping-on-Instant-4-1

I'm not sure how the mitel app knows to use this WMM stuff?   Or how does the access point know what is voice traffic?   How does my SSID that is on VLAN 30 even know to give priority to vlan 20?   I'm just not following it so if someone could spoon feed how wmm might or not help me in this situation I would appreciate it.

• 2.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2016 05:51 PM

Big first question...what voice protocol are you using with the Mitel devices?

• 3.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

Posted Jun 30, 2016 06:43 PM

No clue - can you give me an example so I can ask?

• 4.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2016 07:35 PM

It could be SIP.  If it is SIP, you can write rules to prioritize SIP traffic:

sip.PNG

The example above would allow you to prioritize SIP traffic on any WLAN and not have to have a specific WLAN for VOIP traffic if you don't want to.  When 802.11n or 802.11ac WMM is already enabled; you just have to set the DSCP and 802.1p priority to prioritize the traffic you want prioritized.

• 5.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

Posted Jul 01, 2016 02:09 AM

Thanks very much for hanging in there with me.   I see the part in access where I can create that rule (now that you showed it to me).

I'm not sure what to do about the rest you suggested although I'm sure to many it would be obvious.   I'm not sure where to check if 802.11n and 802.11ac WMM are enabled.   These are 205APs going to iphone 5 and 6's (not sure if that info helps).

Also can you explain in your example you chose 46.  I couldn't figure out in the link why they had 44, 42 and 41.

Or why they endered background wmm 9, best effort 27

• 6.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2016 07:07 AM

By default 802.11n or 802.11ac is on, so you don't have to worry about that.

46 is the highest priority, just to be sure..

What type of voice clients do you have?

• 7.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

Posted Jul 01, 2016 09:44 AM

Thanks!

The voice clients are on android, ipads and iphones and macbook airs - most devices are 1 year old or less (most of the clients are about 25 years old  :)  ).   They are running the Mitel mivoice client softphone.

• 8.  RE: Trying to figure out WMM

Posted Jul 11, 2016 09:31 PM

Does that answer your question?