Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Tunnel traffic to controller or not

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Tunnel traffic to controller or not

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 05:45 AM

Hi Guys, please note that i am not a wireless expert and have never done any wireless deployment in real (didnt had a chance to observe ne real either :( ).

Lets say i have a network with 10 Vlans. Sales (vlan 2), finance (vlan 3), marketing (vlan 4), account (vlan 5) etc. All these Vlans have their own subnet (which is obvious). Now the question that i have in mind is, when the AP gets packet from a client, it checks which Vlan it will belong to for example Sales (vlan 2), it will tunnel it back to controller (i read it in VRD). Isnt it possible to simply forward the packet received to Vlan without sending it to controller. If this is possible, please also help me understand, if controller is deployed in layer 2 and we have default gateway already placed, why AP ever needs to send all the packets back to controller ?

But first please help me understand my initial question pls. 

• 2.  RE: Tunnel traffic to controller or not

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 05:48 AM

You might not want to do that because you would have to configure every port that an access point is on as a trunk, which increases administrative overhead.  If all traffic is tunneled back to the controller, you would only have to configure the uplink port on the controller with those VLANs, instead of configure a port every time you deploy an access point.

• 3.  RE: Tunnel traffic to controller or not

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 06:44 AM

Thanks Colin, but right now, need some understanding to move on :)

• 4.  RE: Tunnel traffic to controller or not
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 24, 2015 09:40 AM

Ovais it might sound not 100% logical af first, but why do you believe it might be an issue, or why do you want it so badly not go through the controller? i believe most deployments are done as such and work fine for many many (did i say many) customers.

what you want sounds like bridge mode, there the traffic stays in the local network and doesn't tunnel back to the controller.

but again don't worry to much about this, tunnel mode is quite fine in a lot of situations.

• 5.  RE: Tunnel traffic to controller or not

Posted Feb 13, 2020 02:16 PM

Did this ever get answer?  I to would like to know if all tunneled traffic for the same vlan leaves the switch and goes to the contorller?  Also how does this affect MDNS?