Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 04:31 AM

Good Morning - Airhead newbie here!

We don't seem to be able to get the GL assessment app working in any of our schools on the Virtual ip side of the Wifi. We have a seperate SSID for all mobile devices, the other SSID gives out a domain dhcp address - if we switch the iPads to the domain dhcp the app works. The iPad sends out a broadcast to search for other devices.

We cannot allow due to scoping, mobile devices to be picking up domain level DHCP.

Is the only way to set an airplay group? Any help here would be most appreciated. (we don't have Clearpass or Airwave)

Thanks

Darren

• 2.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 04:44 AM

Is there a link for the technical requirements of the app?

Do all the devices need to be in the same subnet?

If the app does not support airplay or dlna, Airgroup will probably not help.

• 3.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:05 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Colin

This is the email I received from GL Assessment Tech support which didn't seem to really help. (Attached)

'Attached is the specification of Adobe's FTMP protocol which is what handles the communications between the tablets. This protocol is entirely third party, the app only uses it to broadcast.

A teachers app establishes an endpoint using the generated number displayed on screen as the server id so candidate's tablets bind to the correct teacher app.  Once the candidate enters the code on their app a UDP broadcast using the Adobe protocol is made to search for the running teacher node.  Once found the two tablets are now connected and can receive each other’s broadcasts.'

Attachment(s)

pdf
    rtmp_specification_1.0.pdf   65 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:11 AM

So, from what I can see:

- Devices need to be on the same subnet to find each other

- In your Virtual AP for that WLAN on the controller, Drop Broadcast and Unknown multicast needs to be unchecked.

• 5.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:17 AM

Hi Colin

Yes the Virtual and subnet are on the AP.

I will check those two settings now, and get back to you in a few minutes.

Thanks

Darren

• 6.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:23 AM

Hi Colin

Please see screenshot attached - I believe these are the settings you are referring to but these settings were already set.

aruba.PNG

Hope it makes sense.

Darren

• 7.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:26 AM

Okay.  Are the devices that are trying to reach each other on the same VLAN?

Also, under the network settings for that WLAN, make sure access is unrestricted, so that you are not blocking any traffic:

iap-access.png

• 8.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:29 AM

Hi Colin

As far as I can see they should be all on the same VLAN.

And unrestricted is already set.

Thanks

Darren

• 9.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:34 AM
    So what is the difference between the wlan where it works and the wlan where it does not work?

• 10.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 05:37 AM
    As far as I can see, the only difference is that the other wlan is using domain level DHCP and not Virtual.
    @cjoseph wrote:
    So what is the difference between the wlan where it works and the wlan where it does not work?

• 11.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 02, 2015 08:12 AM

There is no DHCP scope set for the virtual? Which means I'm guessing there is no dns either.

dhcp aruba.PNG

• 12.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 03, 2015 06:46 AM

Any other ideas at all please?

Thanks

Darren

• 13.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2015 07:03 AM

CognitaDarren,

You said it is working, but under specific circumstances.  What is the difference(s) between those two circumstances?

• 14.  RE: UDP Broadcasting on Aruba for GL Assessment app

Posted Nov 03, 2015 09:52 AM
    The only difference I can see is that the WLAN it works on gets an ip address from the domain dhcp and not the virtual.

Kind Regards,

Darren Jeffs
    ICT Support Technician (Roaming)
    Cognita Schools

www.cognitaschools.co.uk

5 & 7 Diamond Court, Opal Drive, Eastlake Park, Fox Milne, Milton Keynes MK15 0DU

DISCLAIMER NOTICE

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is intended only for the named addressee (s) and may not be disclosed to anyone else without the consent of Cognita Ltd. If you are not the named addressee you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on the contents of the e-mail and should return it to sender immediately.

Cognita Ltd may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails. By replying to this e-mail you give your consent to such monitoring.

Cognita Ltd do not accept any liability for any form of viruses introduced with this e-mail or its attachments.

Registered in England
    Cognita Limited No. 5280910
    Registered Office: Seebeck House, One Seebeck Place, Knowlhill, Milton Keynes, MK5 8FR