Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to configure an AP-103

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 04:27 AM
      |   view attached

Hi all,

We've just upgraded our 3600 controllers to 6.4.2.4 from 6.3.1.8 in order to facilitate the installation of the new AP-103. We were told they are not compatible with the 6.3.x.x OS. Now, however, the new APs don't show up on the controller at all. We have plenty of licences so it's not that.  Attached is a screenshot from our master controller, there is no entry for the 103, I'm not sure if that is of any consequence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John.

• 2.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 04:34 AM

Hi Friend,

The output you have shared is not enough, can you share the following output so that I can identify the issue and help you to fix it,

1.Is the AP getting IP address and Master IP ?

2. Is the CPSec enabled on the controller ? if enabled is the AP whitelist configured properly ?

3. can you share the output of " show ap database", show datapath session | include <AP IP address>

Please share the above, I can help you on this.

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 3.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 04:59 AM

Hi Venu,

Many thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately you are talking to a complete Aruba novice :) What I can tell you is that, the AP isn't getting an IP, CPSec is disabled (I did enable it briefly but it seemed to "take down" the APs on that controller),  as for the CLI stuff, it's something I'll have to brush up on before I attempt to pull that info for you.

Regards,

John.

• 4.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 05:36 AM

Hi Friend,

As you said, AP is not getting an IP how it will talk to the Controller ? as a work around you can configure the following,

1. Console your AP and interrupt the autoboot to get into "APboot " mode

APboot1.JPG

and run the following commands,

2. purge

3. save

4. setenv ipaddr <IP address from the AP subnet>

5. setenv netmask <Subnet mask of the AP subnet>

6. setenv masterip <Master controller IP>

7. to verify the config use , "print"

APboot2.JPG

once you finish the above, reboot the AP by using " boot" command or power cycle the AP.

Now console the controller and run "show datapath session" and look for the traffic from the AP ( look for traffic from the IP address configured by you)

you should see traffic on UDP-8211 (PAPI) and after some time you should see 47 (GRE).

If you don't see the 47 traffic, run "show AP database" and read the flag and status.

Please share the flag and the status of the AP, I will give you the fix for this issue.

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 5.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 06:13 AM

Hi Venu,

I'm afraid we don't have the console cable for this purpose. Is there anything else we can do? Why are they not as easy to configure as their predecessors? It seems an awful lot of hassle for something that should be inherent to their design. We install 93s and 105s with no such issues.

Regards,

John.

• 6.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 06:31 AM

Hi,

Bringing up AP 103 is similar to other APs ( 93.105). here I tried to give you a solution to identify whether it is a Aruba AP issue or your network infrastructure( DHCP or DHCP reachability ) issue.

It is always recommended to purge the AP ( factory reset ) before connecting it to the networks coz, we donno whether it is already configured with different IP and Master IP.

I recommend you to reset the AP ( Purge) and connect still if not works, check the DHCP pool and DHCP reachability.

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 7.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 07:02 AM

Hi Venu,

I've tried 3 new AP-103s but none of them show up on the controller. It's not a DHCP issue as I can install new 93s. I did reset the 103s but that still didn't work. I didn't enable CPSec, should I?

Again, many thanks for your help. Unfortunately, we don't have an Aruba guru in house.

Regards,

John. 

• 8.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 07:23 AM

Hi friend,

we can identify the issue only if you reset the AP and let it get an IP and communicate with the controller. don't enable the CPSec for now.

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 9.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 07:26 AM

Hi Venu,

I have reset 3 of the APs but none of them are picking up an IP from the controller, therein lies our issue. 

Regards,

John.

• 10.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2015 07:43 AM

Hi Friend,

Couple of questions.

1. Is your AP directly connected to the controller ? or through any other POe switch ?

2. Is your AP suppose to get IP from the controller ?? if so check the DHCP status in the controller,

run the following commands,

1. show ip dhcp database, show ip dhcp binding.

2. if possible clear the bindings, "clear ip dhcp binding"

3. check whether the VALN mapped to the AP is having a VLAN interface and a valid IP address.

4. If everything is perfect, use the following method to look at the logs,

run a command " logging level debugging network subcat dhcp process dhcpd "
    and then use "show log network all"

in the output check whether it is receiving any dhcp discovery messages or not.

this should help you on diagonising the issue.

• 11.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103

Posted Jan 22, 2015 07:30 AM
    What do you see when you run the following command "show log system | include <ap mac>"

Do you have CPSec turned on ?

How are your APs finding the controller ? DHCP-op43 , ADP , DNS ?

• 12.  RE: Unable to configure an AP-103
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2015 12:06 PM

Hi Victor,

It looks like it was the DHCP range which we have now extended. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

John.