Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

Posted Oct 09, 2012 11:21 PM

Hey All.

I am having an issue with my latest upgrade to version 7.5.6. Since upgrading my primary and failover AMP to 7.5.6, the primary watched AP does not show the status of "observing" in the failover status screen. Its just blank.

I am not sure if it just takes a while or not. I did an AMP restore of a recent nightly backup. Anyone have any tips? Currently both primary and failover are up. Failover is watchign the primary IP but status just shows nothing.. its blank.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2012 12:25 PM

When upgrading, did you upgrade both AMP and Failover at the same time?  Or did you stagger the upgrade?  It's possible that the Failover is behaving as the AMP.

A quick check is to run this CLI command:

# dbc 'select count(*) from ap'

If it outputs 0 then it's still acting as Failover.  <-- Failover should always report 0 AP/Devices until it's in Failover state.

If it outputs any number greater than 0, then it's in Failover state acting as the AMP.

A step further would be to make sure the account the Failover is trying to use is still valid on the AMP.

Verify that the AMP can ping the Failover, and vice versa from the CLI.

If all these things are true, then it's possible that the Failover is having problems talking to the AMP over HTTP/HTTPS.

A test for this might be to delete the AMP from being watched and then re-add.

If none of these work, then you'll want to open a support case.

• 3.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

Posted Oct 10, 2012 01:18 PM

I tried that command and yes, the count is more than 0 as you stated. Both failover AMP and primary AMP can ping each other via CLI. I have tried deleting the primary AMP from the watched AMP list and re-added it, no change. It seems as if the failover AMP still thinks its the primary AMP.

I will try to open a  support case.

• 4.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2012 06:26 PM

Sounds good, I'd be interested in what the solution is.  Since I'm unfamiliar with the state you're in.  Failover typically doesn't give you the Failover GUI interface if it's in failed state.

• 5.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

Posted Oct 11, 2012 08:40 AM

From the work they did last night... They don't have an answer. The web services are up and running with the failover GUI. We are able to ping the primary and backup respectively from each other's box via CLI, yet from dbc its still showing 135 records when it should show 0 on the failover. My only conclusion is that about a month ago we had problems with the failover and it went down. The Aruba tech helped us bring it back up and upgraded it to version 7.5.4 from 7.3.5 at the same time. When he did that it started acting as the primary AMP, monitoring AP's. When it did its nightly backup, it must of taken an old DB of when our primary had 135 records, and kept it after we got the failover services working.

They are confident it is up and running and properly watching the primary even though the status doesn't show "Observing". They state its because they haven;t tested 7.5.6 on failover so that's "probably" how it behaves and doesn't show a status until its the primary... But I am not ready to jump to that conclusion. They are testing it internally. Short of blowing everything off the failover box and starting from scratch (something I am not willing to do), I will have to wait for their tests.

• 6.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2012 03:13 PM

My status shows as a '-'.  I don't see the word 'observing' shown anywhere.  It's possible my setup hasn't been up long enough to reflect that.

Gather the output of:

# ls -la /var/airwave-backup/watcher

# ls -la /var/airwave-backup/watched_amps

I'm looking for a time-stamp from the watcher file to show a timestamp for when it tried to commit a restore.  And then I'm looking for timestamps for when the failover last grabbed a backup from watched AMPs.

Here's a capture of what my Failover Server shows:

failoverview.jpg

All 3 are fresh installed AMPs, but the middle I forced through the nightly backup process, and then waited for it to collect the backup.  As you can see, status is a '-'.

• 7.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

Posted May 08, 2013 01:41 PM

Ran into this with an upgrade to 7.5.7. Status column on both the Master and Failover AMPs showed a blank unless the watched AMP was unreachable. Airwave issued a patch for both (2 patches). Referance case 1396008

• 8.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

Posted Aug 30, 2013 12:27 PM

Hello,

I am currently having the same issue with my failover server (Does not appear to be polling- or maybe just not updating the GUI). Was this issue ever resolves? If so could you please share the findings?

Thank you,

Nick

• 9.  RE: Unable to get Failover AMP to "observe" the watched AMP. Version 7.5.6

Posted Aug 30, 2013 12:32 PM

Open a TAC case, referance case # 1396008 and ask them for the patches issued for this.