Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority

Posted Jan 30, 2015 01:38 PM

Hello, here is a question about configuring IP interfaces' uplink priority.

First, the background:  I am configuring, from the box, a pair of 7210 controllers running ArubaOS 6.4.2.4.  I am early in the configuration process, nowhere near the point of defining WLANs or connecting APs and clients.

Where I am stuck now is in the Network>IP>IP Interface configuration page.  I have already been to the VLANs configuration page, and have defined the VLANs into which the wireless clients will be placed.  I have not yet associated those VLANs with a physical port.

The controller has its canned IP interface on VLAN 1, 172.16.0.254.  Editing that interface shows it has an uplink priority of 0.  Now, we are getting to the point that is getting weird.  On one of my controllers, I was able to simple clear the IP address information from IP interface for VLAN 1, disable the interface, and disable the VLAN.  This is my desired end-state.

On my second controller, this default VLAN IP interface also had an uplink priority of 0.  I set that value to 1 and applied the value.  After that moment, I am unable to clear that IP address from that interface (using the Web UI).  No matter what I try, the WebUI returns an error dialog that says:  "Priority should be between 1 and 255".

I don't even know what that means.  What is "uplink priority"?  What effect can I expect now that this controller thinks this default VLAN interface is the priority 1 uplink?

The only place the words "uplink priority" exist in the ArubaOS6.4.x User guide (that apply to my controllers) is on pages 159 and 160, where it discusses enabling the DHCP and the PPPoE client, neither of which we will use.  We need to statically assign the VLAN IP interface addresses.

• 2.  RE: Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2015 01:41 PM

Uplink priority is mainly used with cable/DSL/LTE backup connections.

Can you try removing the IP at the CLI?

• 3.  RE: Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority

Posted Jan 30, 2015 01:45 PM

standby, trying now...

• 4.  RE: Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority

Posted Jan 30, 2015 01:54 PM

As far as I can tell in the CLI, there is only a single entry in the config file that contains that default IP address 172.16.0.254:

(ceWC_prime) # show configuration | include 172.16.0.254
     dns-server 172.16.0.254

(ceWC_prime) #

This may may more revealing:

(ceWC_prime) #show configuration | include priority
      any any svc-citrix  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      any any svc-ica  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      any any svc-vmware-rdp  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      any any svc-pcoip-tcp  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      any any svc-pcoip-udp  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      any any svc-pcoip2-tcp  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      any any svc-pcoip2-udp  permit tos 46 dot1p-priority 6
      priority 110
      priority 110
    uplink wired vlan 1 priority 1

(ceWC_prime) #

I wonder if I can force that to zero in the CLI, and what it will do.

• 5.  RE: Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2015 02:02 PM

Actually, that was the trick.  From configuration mode in the CLI, I entered the command:

no uplink wired vlan 1

I then issued the write memory command.

Checking then in the WebUI, the uplink priority for that interface was again set to 0, which allowed me to clear the IP address the the default VLAN.

Thanks for the tip to go to CLI.

Jess

• 6.  RE: Unable to remove IP Interface Uplink Priority

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2015 02:03 PM

That was my next suggestion :)

Glad it worked for you.