Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

Posted Jul 30, 2018 01:30 PM

I uploaded an IAP firmware image to AirWave and tried to upgrade a few IAPs using this method, but I'm receiving this message:

The following devices will not be upgraded because they are in monitor-only mode or do not support firmware upgrade

The management mode on these IAP-305s is 'Monitor Only + Firmware Upgrade', so I thought I'd be able to do it. Does the IAP-305 just not support upgrading via AirWave? I have upgraded them through the web UI without issue previously. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

Posted Jul 30, 2018 02:01 PM
    Interesting, what version of Airwave are you running?

• 3.  RE: Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

Posted Jul 30, 2018 02:35 PM

We are running 8.2.6. Not sure, but I think I may have figured it out. I'm currently in the process of upgrading the virtual controller only for the small cluster in our office. That seems to be working correctly using AirWave. Previously I had selected all the IAPs to upgrade - maybe you only do it to the controller? As I think about it, that makes sense - when I've upgrade using the web UI in the past, it was done only on the VC then pushed out to the other IAPs, so that's probably what's going on....

• 4.  RE: Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

Posted Jul 30, 2018 02:49 PM
    Even if you select all of the APs to upgrade, it will only apply on the VC. Come to think of it, I have seen that warning message before. It simply stating you can't upgrade the AP directly and you must go through the VC.

Thanks,
    Pash

• 5.  RE: Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2018 05:09 AM

It is expected behaviour, Airwave pushses firmware to VC only, it is job of VC to push the firmware to its slave IAPs. In firmware_enforce log we can see Airwave pushes firmware to VC alone.

You can check VC log  #show ap debug or show log system for more details.

• 6.  RE: Unable to upgrade IAP firmware using AirWave

Posted Jul 31, 2018 08:06 AM

Confirmed that the VC did upgrade and sent the upgrade out to the slave IAP as well - pretty much the same way it's done via the web interface.

Thanks for the input, everyone.