Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Unprovisioned AP:s is down in Master controller

Hi,

I have an issue with a number of new 315 AP:s that we are installing on a new site. Last week we had some DHCP issues on a site where we installed 16 new 315: AP:s. We solved this with creating a new DHCP scope to temporarily give our AP:s an IP-address.

However, there was an power outage later that day so we didnt have time to provision these new accesspoints. Today when the power is back the accesspoints are still marked as down in our Master controller. Even tho power is back in the facility. Do we need to manually facotry reset them on site?

8 out of 16 is visible in the master controller under Dashboard -> Accesspoints. But they are down and unprovisioned so we only see the MAC:adress etc.

We have tried to restart them with PoE management on the ports where they are connected but that have not helped us im affraid.

Any input is appreciated.

Guru Elite

Re: Unprovisioned AP:s is down in Master controller

What version of ArubaOS is this?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars

Hi,

Im sorry, i should have provided this in the original post.

The controllers run 6.5.4.6.

Thank you.

Guru Elite

When you say Unprovisioned, do you mean they were not renamed and came up in the initial ap-group default, and then you had a power outage?

What method are those access points using for discovery?  Are you able to get a console capture of any of the access point's bootup?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

Im sorry, I see now that they are provisioned and placed in the default group. However they are not renamed and still have MAC:adress as name. So after they where provisioned and placed in the default group the power outage occured. After that they remain down.

We can see that they have active LAN connections through our switch but the controllers still see them as down.

We currently use DNS as discovery method.

Im sorry but im not familiar with the console and how to use it to capture the bootup of an AP. Is there any documentation i can refer to if i need to do this when continuing to troubleshoot?

Thank you.

Guru Elite

Information on how to connect to the AP console is here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_83_Web_Help/content/arubaframestyles/ap_config/mngng_ap_conso_sett.htm?Highlight=console

You can try disabling POE and then enabling POE on an access pont port to see if you can get an individual AP to come up, first.

You can also check to see if the mac addresses of the access point show up in the DHCP server lease.  You can type "show ap database long" to see the wired mac addresses of all  your access points.

If you do get a console cable to plug into the access point, you can look at the video here for troubleshooting ideas:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/Aruba-Controller-and-AP-Troubleshooting-Part-1/ta-p/18988

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted

Thank you for the assistance Joseph,

I will be on site on Wednesday and with your assistance im sure I will find a sollution to this now.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: