Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 11, 2014 03:37 PM

Looking at updating our Master/Local pair of 7210 Controllers from 6.3.1.9 to 6.4.2.0 and looking to see if others have seen any issues that I should be looking out for or has it gone pretty smooth.

Have the following Access Points:

49 x AP-105
    35 x AP-115
    2 x RAP-3WN
    1 x RAP-155

#RAP155

• 2.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 11, 2014 03:46 PM
    The only issue I've had so far is with 205s. I'm getting some very strange numbers on the dashboard (IE - Max speed for a client may show 3.6G). I've currently got a ticket open with TAC on that one. On RAP-155s and AP-225s there have been no issues.
    #RAP155

• 3.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

• 4.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 11, 2014 10:54 PM

You might want to wait a day or three for 6.4.2.1.

The issues we have with 6.4.2.0 are probably either unique to

our AP models, which you do not have, or are slated  to

be fixed in 6.4.2.1.

• 5.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 19, 2014 04:00 PM

I would also wait for 6.4.2.1, i have several issues with 6.4.2.0  which i have cases open with TAC for.  

1. I have lost the abilibty to Ping all my AP's.  They are online and working but i am unable to

monitor them with nagios anymore.  

2.  I am seeing much weaker signal strengths from my AP's.  I have been working with TAC most of the day today on this one but am not really sure whats going on.

3. this issue is only happening on AP 205's but i have lost the ability to open random websites.  I did some troubleshooting on this earlier today with TAC as well, and tested it on all the models i have and it only happens on the 205 model.  The webpages just time out and there does not appear to be a rhyme or reason why.    

• 6.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 19, 2014 04:12 PM

I also meant to say, would you mind sharing the issues you are seeing?  I have most models in my environment so i would be curious what other people are seeing. 

• 7.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 19, 2014 04:29 PM

1) HA intercontroller heartbeats trigger failovers too readily and will be fixed in 6.4.2.1

2) Hospitality (wired-AP) ports after an HA fast failover die for 5 minutes, also will be fixed in 6.4.2.1.

3) 80MHz in especially in dense environments on the 225 causes false radar events (to be expected) but the APs occasionally go rf-dead (nearly no beacons sent) after getting one of these.  Probably not fixed by 6.4.2.1 unless a fix occurs by accident, which does happen sometimes.  We went deep with TAC on this one including debug AP builds.  This

one is especially painful to OSX which hear the occasional beacon and associate but

then get stuck somehow and never roam off the AP until they move out of the area,

all while the AP continues to serve other clients.  So it's a client-specific deadzone.

4) ARP spoof protection triggers on corrupt packets and blacklists clients.  This happens almost only to iPhones.  Unsure where the corruption is happenning.  Not sure when the mis-triggering issue will be fixed.  Worked around it with local-proxy-arp feature which pretty much eliminates the problem unless Apple decides to start sending too many unsolicited gratuitous arps.

5) A few mystery performance issues we know are there but haven't got anything to go on

but hearsay at the moment.

• 8.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 19, 2014 04:32 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I to have heard similar reports about performance issues from users, but have not been able to pinpoint anything specific.  

• 9.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 19, 2014 04:37 PM

They are not widespread, and most of the ones with Win8 are fixed with newer client drivers, but the OSX ones remain a mystery.

• 10.  RE: Update to 6.4.2.0 Inquiry

Posted Sep 23, 2014 12:08 PM

as an update, i did get one of my issues fixed this morning working with TAC.  It seems the AP205's auto set the MTU values.  The other AP's dont.  the 205's were setting this in a way that was causing incomplete information to be sent which causes random webpages to not load anymore.  Setting the SAP MTU to 1400 in the AP System profile solved the problem. 

#AP205